cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throughly frustrated with recommendations

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
1 of 8

Why is Upwork even bothering to recommend when the recommeded have nothing to do with the job. I posted a job which clearly stated US/CA and all but one recommedation are from everywhere but US/CA...

I hate the new page. It pops up with the first recommended and no way to hide or get rid of it unless I go back to the initial job posting. Instead of making it easier to hire it is getting more and more difficult.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 8

Hi Suzanne,

I checked the job you are reffering to and I suggest you edit it and put "North America" in preferred location. Currently you have it set as any location.

Screenshot_3.png

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
3 of 8

Valeria,

Changing location did not change the recommended which are mostly non US.

Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
4 of 8

I really don't think there are that many freelancers from the US here to begin with. Why bother working as a freelancer on a website where getting $20/hour is a challenge when you can get hired at any development company in the US for > $70.000 per year?

If I were to move to the US or Canada, I surely wouldn't bother with freelancing.

Community Guru
5 of 8

@Gabriel B wrote:

I really don't think there are that many freelancers from the US here to begin with. Why bother working as a freelancer on a website where getting $20/hour is a challenge when you can get hired at any development company in the US for > $70.000 per year?

If I were to move to the US or Canada, I surely wouldn't bother with freelancing.

Gabriel,

There is actually a large number of US/CA freelancers. I was not looking for a developer for my job, so the point of me looking for US/CA had to do with writing.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 8

@Gabriel B wrote:

Because development in the real world has turned into useless agile meetings, spreadsheets, burndown charts, time sheets, and everything else that doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the product or the performance of the developer. I worked one job where we would just put things in the burndown chart to make it look good to a VP who didn't even know how the system worked. Develoment in corporate world is a joke. It didn't used to be that way, but now it's less professional and more like an assembly line of people who spit out code. Lines of codes mean you're performing, which any decent programmer will tell you that it's not true.

I could write a very long ranty book about how development is devolving into a junk career unless you work for yourself and build things to make your own money. 

Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
7 of 8

I never worked for any company here in Cluj. I started as a freelancer without even knowing it, so I cannot speak how development is done in a cubicle-governed world. I only saw the farms, those large hangars where 100+ developers sit in columns and they... develop. Yuck!

And I knew this topic isn't about development, but the point still stands. There are some North American freelancers around but I would find it hard to believe you can make a living on a platform where seeing a client averaging over $20/hour is a "rara avis" (I do believe I know my way with words as well as with programming languages).

Anyhoo, the search algorithm is botched. I tried different searches for fellow developers and the results gave me a lot of people with experience in... writing. Huh. You could search for 'web developer'. Maybe you'll find some people good at what you are actually looking for.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 8

Yes, the average salary for a senior level developer is $80-$95k in my area. I tell people I work here, and they wonder how I do it. Of course, I don't do development here but writing rates are even lower. It's a huge learning curve. I wish I could enjoy a real job. My motivation is to never have to be chained to a desk and miserable with the numerous ridiculous requirements put on developers these days.

The coding factories are terrible. We don't have them here, but in India they are common. Good Indian coders are working in satellite sites for big companies or getting visas to work here. They don't want to work in the coding factories either, but they prey on college grads with no experience.

I get a lot of comments about low rates here, but just the fact that I got up at 8:30am today and decided to start work at 3pm is good enough for me to deal with the stress. Smiley Happy If I have to deal with daily 15 minute standup meetings to say I'm working on the same thing 2 weeks in a row, I might kill myself. Smiley Happy

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS