Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for hiring someone to manage my writers

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
John S Member Since: Jun 26, 2015
1 of 3

I'd like to delegate the managemnet of writers to someone. In the future I may delegate the management of other freelancers as well, but right now I'm spending more time than I'd like to on managing writers.

I'd appreciate any tips you  may provide, but the main questions I have are:

1. Should I look for someone to only manage the writers (i.e. provide topics, receive and review material, ask for edits), or should I outsource the recruiting, hiring, paying, etc. aspects of it as well all to the same person?

2. What kind of freelancer am I looking for - what kind of skills?

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
2 of 3

I'd start small and not assign all the responsibilities you've listed until you've had a chance to work with your freelancer a bit and build up some trust.

You could look for a non-technical project manager who has experience managing writers or you could find a VA who does the same thing. If you're looking to this person to identify edits that need to be made, definitely hire someone with demonstrable experience in that area.

Go with high-quality freelancers who have great history on the platform. Believe me, this will save you time and heartache in the future.  Good luck!

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
3 of 3

If they're going to provide suggestions for edits, make sure they have ample experience in understanding and applying the revision and editing process. This includes the ability to communicate specific suggestions and give precise direction on what to change.

All too often the "writer managers" are absolutely not suited to the position beyond ensuring the deadlines are met. For example, stating "this sentence doesn't flow" is utterly ridiculous. In what capacity? Is it grammatically correct? Syntactically sound? 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS