🐈 Community
androtics

Tips for most graceful way to let a contractor go?

Hello, 

I've had a contractor for a long time, but have ran out of budget for the job he does. 

What are your best tips and strategies for letting a contractor go?

9 REPLIES 9
tlsanders

@Jasmin S wrote:

Hello, 

I've had a contractor for a long time, but have ran out of budget for the job he does. 

What are your best tips and strategies for letting a contractor go?

Under these circumstances, I (as a freelancer) would prefer that you just state the facts. If you're happy with his work say so. If you hope to work with him again in the future, say so. In any case, simply tell him that the project you've had him working on is coming to an end. 

Jasmin, honesty is always the best approach.  My guess is you and your long-time contractor have a somewhat shared understanding of your business and most of the time that includes at least a vague understanding of the business cash intake.

If you plan to regroup and move forward at some time in the future be sure to have a contact point between the two of you.  This is not to cut out U but to ensure the two of you stay in touch and can chat as needed.

Based on your question you're a caring and good person and I'm sure the contractor will completely understand.

I'd like to add to Wendy's awesome post and add that this is just sort of the life of a freelancer.  While we always hate to see a client go, it's the nature of the business that contracts will come to an end.  I agree that being honest and forthcoming is your best bet and, if it is deserved, good feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Show them a pic of donald trump and ask them if they've ever seen the apprentice.

bwegscheider

I would definitely advise you to be straightforward. I have been let go due to budget constraints many times in the past six years. We all understand that money is not personal.

If you are more vague about the reason for the separation, the freelancer may wonder if you are actually unsatisfied with the work quality or even the freelancer's general personality.

The clients who simply disappear without a word may be the worst.

If you will be leaving positive feedback for the freelancer, do state this to put his or her mind at rest. Of course, always leave some (honest) feedback, even if it is just the star rating.

lomen_jan

Tip the freelancer, close the contract and give nice feedback and review. I guess you can tip freelancer in sum of his hourly rate like hour or two. 

Just as an FYI.:  Tips and/or Bonuses are subject to Upwork fees - not always the best way to handle this.

Never be embarrassed about running out of money or budget. It's not like a piece of spinach stuck in your tooth or failure to go to your kid's graduation. It's nothing to be embarrassed about.

We've all been there. We all get it that sometimes money runs out. Sometimes projects don't work out.

If you're my client and you run out of money, you don't have to tell me. But I won't think less of you or your project if I do.

I'm grateful you hired me in the first place. I'm grateful you paid me for the work I did without trying to con me or anything.

You're a client. Without clients, Upwork would be nothing. Some contractors want to think they're all that, but it's really all about clients. I wish you well, hope things work out eventually, and hope you'll be in a position at some point to accomplish all of your goals.

Wait, I have to go to my kid's graduation?

Learning Paths