🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: To post, or not to post ... Poor client f...
Page options
tombaldoni
Community Member

To post, or not to post ... Poor client feedback

I'm planning to end a contract with an extremely difficult client and about to leave feedback (below). I'm a 30-year freelancer and have never worked with such a difficult client. Should I??

"This client was extremely difficult to work with. She had clear deadlines set but was unable to provide me with the content that I needed to meet her deadline. Even still, she blamed me for not meeting them. I was asked to make an extraordinary number of alterations well beyond a fair amount for the money allocated for this job.

I agreed to finish the project. She did agree to create two additional benchmarks - one for stock photos that I purchased on her behalf, but benchmarks were also challenging. I needed to request payment several times - even weeks after the final project was delivered. The last benchmark was never funded, but I have decided that it's not worth pursuing."

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hmm - yeah, my review is as messy as this project became. Thanks for the advice.

"This client was extremely difficult to work with. She had clear deadlines set but was unable to provide me with the content that I needed to meet her deadlines.

Benchmarks were difficult to get approved. I needed to request payment several times - even weeks after the final project was delivered. The last benchmark was never funded, but I have decided that it's not worth pursuing."

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
mystudiomke
Community Member

Yep! You're being honest, what is there to doubt? 

Lila

Ha! Yeah, she'll have her own version of the project. I'm so done with her as a client and don't want to deal with her antics anymore, but I do want to make other artist aware. (She's a psychologist - literally)

I will be able to remove her feedback from my profile.

jr-translation
Community Member

Tom B wrote:

I'm planning to end a contract with an extremely difficult client and about to leave feedback (below). I'm a 30-year freelancer and have never worked with such a difficult client. Should I??

"This client was extremely difficult to work with. She had clear deadlines set but was unable to provide me with the content that I needed to meet her deadline. Even still, she blamed me for not meeting them. I was asked to make an extraordinary number of alterations well beyond a fair amount for the money allocated for this job.

I agreed to finish the project. She did agree to create two additional benchmarks - one for stock photos that I purchased on her behalf, but benchmarks were also challenging. I needed to request payment several times - even weeks after the final project was delivered. The last benchmark was never funded, but I have decided that it's not worth pursuing."

I used some colors to make it a bit easier to follow.

Green: Fine, plane and simple. Other freelancers get the message.

Blue: Sound like a small kid pointing finger at someone for its own wrongdoing.

Orange: You obviously did not define a max number of revision.

Purple: He said, she said. Again sound like a small kid.

Red: Entirely your mistake. Why spend you own money and then go public with it. Do you write in your proposals that you pay for everything the client needs in addition? Let the client pay.

Pink: Good choise. Let it go and learn from your mistakes.

Hmm - yeah, my review is as messy as this project became. Thanks for the advice.

"This client was extremely difficult to work with. She had clear deadlines set but was unable to provide me with the content that I needed to meet her deadlines.

Benchmarks were difficult to get approved. I needed to request payment several times - even weeks after the final project was delivered. The last benchmark was never funded, but I have decided that it's not worth pursuing."

Did this woman have a RussiRussiaRussiRussian name ? I swear I have a client who must be part of a hidden camera show. It's very low pay, but a topic I know, so I thought it would be quick pay. If she doesn't accept this milestone, I think I'll make it a portfolio piece and burn that bridge to ashes. Can UpWork help?

Ha! I don't think she is, but that's an interesting likeness because I felt the same way regarding this particular  NE client.

Tom B wrote:

The final version hits the right balance. You've found a way to encapsulate the client experience that is both honest and professional. This is the best of both worlds: you're able to honestly relate your experience working with a difficult client and you preserve your professional image in the process.

Jennifer R wrote:

Tom B wrote:

I used some colors to make it a bit easier to follow.

Green: Fine, plane and simple. Other freelancers get the message.

Blue: Sound like a small kid pointing finger at someone for its own wrongdoing.

Orange: You obviously did not define a max number of revision.

Purple: He said, she said. Again sound like a small kid.

Red: Entirely your mistake. Why spend you own money and then go public with it. Do you write in your proposals that you pay for everything the client needs in addition? Let the client pay.

Pink: Good choise. Let it go and learn from your mistakes.

Jennifer, this feedback breakdown is a thing of beauty.

tlsanders
Community Member

I wouldn't, but it has nothing to do with not thinking you should leave honest negative feedback. A lot of it makes you sound unprofessional, like you managed the project poorly, and like you aren't using Upwork correctly. That may or may not be true, but that's what the story as you've told it conveys

ETA: the revised version is less bad, but still a head scratcher since if  you are using Upwork correctly it is literally impossible to have to request payment weeks after project completion.

Could be - For completed milestones, I've uploaded final files for her approval. They've already been funded.

The last milestone, which I hadn't realized was not funded, is my mistake for providing files prior to funding. (I'd actually condensed that last part of my review as well to read: "Benchmarks were difficult to get approved. The last benchmark was never funded, but I have decided not to pursue it." 

I still would have liked for her to honor it regardless.

Tom B wrote:

Could be - For completed milestones, I've uploaded final files for her approval. They've already been funded.

The last milestone, which I hadn't realized was not funded, is my mistake for providing files prior to funding. (I'd actually condensed that last part of my review as well to read: "Benchmarks were difficult to get approved. The last benchmark was never funded, but I have decided not to pursue it." 

I still would have liked for her to honor it regardless.

Hmm -  I agree with Tiffany although your final version works. Just a small heads up when you discuss things like this on the forum, you should bear in mind that clients also read the posts here and they are also open to the public on the Internet - Google searchable. 

Another thing that you may not be aware of is that when you complete a fixed-rate job/milestone and submit a request for payment, the client has 14 days in which to review your work before releasing payment. If there is no contact with client in that time,Upwork automatically releases the amount to your account. However, if you resubmit the request for payment before the 14 days is up, then the whole process starts again. This is possibly why it took weeks for you to get paid. Unless you had both agreed to the bonus payment system (not a good idea). 

Good advice - thank you!

Yes - found out about the 14 day period, after requesting client approvals over that time.

Also - looking back, posting the actual proposed review, should have been avoided. Although, I must say it has been extremely helpful - as I learn best practices on uw . Won’t do it again though.

Thanks
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Post what is true in a professional way.

Upwork doesn't provide enough public information about difficult clients. If you wouldn't work for her again, say so and say why. Other freelancers deserve to know what they're getting into - the can then decide whether they want to work for her. She'll always find a taker, though the quality of her freelancers might decrease over time if this pattern of behavior is the best she can muster.

And don't submit work to this type of client other than as a formal submission that fulfills a milestone. If you send all or most of the work without submitting it and starting the 14-day clock, this type of client may just hold out without limit and maybe even cancel the project before you've submittined your milestone work, which will be money you'll likely never be paid.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths