cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To post, or not to post ... Poor client feedback

Tom B Member Since: Feb 26, 2019
11 of 14

Could be - For completed milestones, I've uploaded final files for her approval. They've already been funded.

The last milestone, which I hadn't realized was not funded, is my mistake for providing files prior to funding. (I'd actually condensed that last part of my review as well to read: "Benchmarks were difficult to get approved. The last benchmark was never funded, but I have decided not to pursue it." 

I still would have liked for her to honor it regardless.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
12 of 14

Tom B wrote:

Could be - For completed milestones, I've uploaded final files for her approval. They've already been funded.

The last milestone, which I hadn't realized was not funded, is my mistake for providing files prior to funding. (I'd actually condensed that last part of my review as well to read: "Benchmarks were difficult to get approved. The last benchmark was never funded, but I have decided not to pursue it." 

I still would have liked for her to honor it regardless.

Hmm -  I agree with Tiffany although your final version works. Just a small heads up when you discuss things like this on the forum, you should bear in mind that clients also read the posts here and they are also open to the public on the Internet - Google searchable. 

Another thing that you may not be aware of is that when you complete a fixed-rate job/milestone and submit a request for payment, the client has 14 days in which to review your work before releasing payment. If there is no contact with client in that time,Upwork automatically releases the amount to your account. However, if you resubmit the request for payment before the 14 days is up, then the whole process starts again. This is possibly why it took weeks for you to get paid. Unless you had both agreed to the bonus payment system (not a good idea). 

Tom B Member Since: Feb 26, 2019
13 of 14
Good advice - thank you!

Yes - found out about the 14 day period, after requesting client approvals over that time.

Also - looking back, posting the actual proposed review, should have been avoided. Although, I must say it has been extremely helpful - as I learn best practices on uw . Won’t do it again though.

Thanks
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
14 of 14

Post what is true in a professional way.

Upwork doesn't provide enough public information about difficult clients. If you wouldn't work for her again, say so and say why. Other freelancers deserve to know what they're getting into - the can then decide whether they want to work for her. She'll always find a taker, though the quality of her freelancers might decrease over time if this pattern of behavior is the best she can muster.

And don't submit work to this type of client other than as a formal submission that fulfills a milestone. If you send all or most of the work without submitting it and starting the 14-day clock, this type of client may just hold out without limit and maybe even cancel the project before you've submittined your milestone work, which will be money you'll likely never be paid.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS