cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many clients & freelancers against a small support staff and all sides are pointing. How to fix.

Ace Contributor
Phyllis P Member Since: May 27, 2016
1 of 21

Across the board, upwork has an enormouse amount of site activity. Do we enter into contracts too quickly?

Should we take more time to investigate and interview? Do you feel the pressures from freelancers to hire them right away?

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 21

David,

Great questions. Freelancers are definitely under pressure to apply quickly because all things being equal, clients are likely to choose the first suitable freelancer, and not all have the patience to wait a while and see if a better candidate applies. But you as a client are under no pressure to choose quickly unless you have a job that needs to be completed ASAP. Freelancers are not going to withdraw their proposals while you take your time evaluating them, because they will lose connects if they do. The worst that could happen is a freelancer accepts another job and then becomes unavailable. 

Speaking as a freelancer, I wish more clients took their time, because I for one like to write proposals that address specifics in the job description and sometimes, by the time I'm ready to submit it, I find the client has already hired someone. I have also had proposals accepted and jobs offered while was asleep, then wake up the next morning to find the client withdrew the offer and hired someone else.

3 of 21

These concerns that you raise are all true that you say. I concede that I am guilty of talking with freelancers and then ultimately hiring someone else.  Lots of freelancers reply to post listings and while I interview all of them, I can do much better to let freelancers know at the end of the interview that i am still interviewing.

But i am also saying, I have had a few too many freelancers that are rather pushy and rude to get hired. I had one freelancer who contacted me every single day. I mean every single day, (which felt like every second lol,) he contacted me. He was so annoying to the point that I would sign on and turn off my on site green light. One day, when he said if I didn't hire him he would share my gamefiles on git hub, i reported him. but he still has an active account.

Still, I would like to think that I do a pretty decent job interviewing freelancers but still I feel the presure/ and I feel freelancers are too anxious to get hired and right away. Like you said, when they wake up,, they know there's a chance the job may be gone.  I can feel the pressures of it.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 21

David, I'm sorry you encountered rude and pushy freelancers, but you did the correct thing by reporting them. I'm not a client so cannot be certain, but there may be a way to block them from sending you more messages, and if there isn't a way to block then there should be.

5 of 21

John - I agree wiz you Exactly!!!

There are way too many freelancers and not enough clients and definitely there is a very small support staff and all sides are pointing.

Better way to fix is we all slow down some and leave contacting support staff as a last option.

Hahahah, but I also say that I am Guilty of contacting support a lot. They are understaffed. 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 21

David you are absolutely right to interview a few freelancers before choosing. What would be nice though, is to remember to close the offer when you have hired someone and if you are not looking for anyone else for that particular job.

Ace Contributor
7 of 21

Hello Nichola,

The client choice to close a job is really good resolution if indeed the client job really is closed.

But with updesk being so enormous, you never know if that more talented freelancer may be discovered. And I do have the option to hire many at one time so I do not close my job. And I do go back to old listings to look for new applicants.

Only one time did I close a job listing and I regretted it. I think uw can fix it so that freelancers do not see that someone has been hired because many times freelancers do not carefully read the job description to see that a client is looking for more than one to hire.  Clients should be able to set option limiting how many applicants can apply. Like no more than 10 or no more than 50 or unlimited.

It's a lot of work interviewing freelancers. Oh boy, let me tell you.

Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
8 of 21

@David P wrote:
Clients should be able to set option limiting how many applicants can apply. Like no more than 10 or no more than 50 or unlimited.

It's a lot of work interviewing freelancers. Oh boy, let me tell you.

The number of appplications will not matter if the client has options to filter the proposals by feedback, number of jobs, hours ... any variable that can help differentiate the freelancers.

Ace Contributor
9 of 21

What freelancers may or may not see is the true number of applicants. Wow, sometimes it's a lot and even with small number,  It takes lot of time carefully interviewing.

The job listing does not have setting limting how many applicants at a time can apply.

Like  I said, it's way too many freelancers than clients and compared to the size of this site, there's a very small support staff to help manage it all.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
10 of 21

Perhaps this will help you narrow down your search for the perfect freelancers:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063528-Find-Freelancers

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS