cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many clients & freelancers against a small support staff and all sides are pointing. How to fix.

Ace Contributor
Phyllis P Member Since: May 27, 2016
BEST ANSWER
11 of 21

Wow, this is very nice Virginia.

Thanks.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
12 of 21

@David P wrote:

These concerns that you raise are all true that you say. I concede that I am guilty of talking with freelancers and then ultimately hiring someone else.  Lots of freelancers reply to post listings and while I interview all of them, I can do much better to let freelancers know at the end of the interview that i am still interviewing.

But i am also saying, I have had a few too many freelancers that are rather pushy and rude to get hired. I had one freelancer who contacted me every single day. I mean every single day, (which felt like every second lol,) he contacted me. He was so annoying to the point that I would sign on and turn off my on site green light. One day, when he said if I didn't hire him he would share my gamefiles on git hub, i reported him. but he still has an active account.

Still, I would like to think that I do a pretty decent job interviewing freelancers but still I feel the presure/ and I feel freelancers are too anxious to get hired and right away. Like you said, when they wake up,, they know there's a chance the job may be gone.  I can feel the pressures of it.

"Lots of freelancers reply to post listings and while I interview all of them..." - are you really interviewing every single person who applies to your posted jobs? No wonder you also say that you spend a lot of time interviewing. I can't imagine that every single person that applies is qualified for the job. Can you not filter out unsuitable applicants based on their work history, qualifications, application, etc? On average I get about 20 applicants for my posted jobs but I rarely interview more than 2 or 3 because I eliminate the least suitable and focus on the ones I think will be the most suitable. 

Ace Contributor
13 of 21

When people apply to my jobs, I interview them closely and carefully to the best of my ability. I review their portfolios, as closely as I can. I am only one person doing this too, so yes, it very time consuming.

Whether you're a freelancer or client the interview process is time consuming. i do my level best to interview everyone.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
14 of 21

I still don't understand why you are interviewing everyone. If you are interviewing everyone, of course it is time consuming! You should only interview the people who are qualified for the job and you think, based on their application and profile, could be a good fit. In the current oversaturated Upwork marketplace, I really can't believe that this is everyone who applies for your posted jobs. If you are interviewing everyone who applies for your jobs then, in my opinion, you are wasting your time (and the time of the freelancers).

Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
15 of 21

Why would you initiate an interview if you dont have a genuine interest to hire?

Clients should take more time to check the freelancer profiles prior initiating an interview or hire.

Ace Contributor
16 of 21

Freelancers should very carefully share the same burden of carefully reviewing job descriptions.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
17 of 21

The fact that you are inundated with bids should point out to you that there are many thousands of providers on this site who don't read proposals carefully and do not make informed bids. All those providers will do is waste your time.

Those that do take care with the jobs they bid on will find that in the time it takes to write an informed bid, there will be up to 50 proposals left on a project, sometimes in a time span of as little as 15 minutes (or less).

You would be better served to do your screening ahead of posting your RFPs.

matthew p Member Since: Jun 5, 2016
18 of 21

would it be safe to say that a quick screen would be a simple task that one of the main tasks of the job . if they fail that task then they defentally wouldnt be fit for an interview even . 

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
19 of 21

Don't ask them to work for free.  A paid test is acceptable.

@matthew p wrote:

would it be safe to say that a quick screen would be a simple task that one of the main tasks of the job . if they fail that task then they defentally wouldnt be fit for an interview even . 

matthew p Member Since: Jun 5, 2016
20 of 21

can you explain what a paid test is . sorry im new to all this 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS