🐈
» Forums » Clients » Trouble with a Freelancer that I hired
Page options
202399be
Community Member

Trouble with a Freelancer that I hired

hi, I am new to upWork and stuck in an odd situation, need your guidance.

On 20th April I hired a freelancer for a task with 3 milstones and deadline was 29th April. Reason for hiring was he had few completed projects on ReactJS (my requirement) which now i suspect to be fake because the first 3 days he wasted because he didnt even know how to connect database ...even a newbiz developer knows that.

Now today is 29th April (deadline of project) but so far he hasn't completed even first milestone properly i.e. it is full of improfessional mistakes.

Instead of making things better he is coming up with arguments such as he didnt know the dept of the task and i should increase the budget, even i fully explained him the task in zoom call with visuals.

I dont know how to handle this and i am running out of time. I do have 2 days buffer but i highly doubt he can deliver all work (error free) within that time.

Please guide me how to handle this situation.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "wont it double the cost if i hire 2 freelancers for same task?"

No.

Hire four freelancers.

Use hourly contracts.

Only one of them does any work.

You only pay one of them.

It is a "team project." But they aren't working directly with each other.

Once the work is done, you close all the contracts.

Or if you really want to use fixed-price:

Hire four freelancers for a $2000 project.

First milestone is $25.

Pick the one who does the best.

Pay only that one to finish the work.

Three get $25.

One gets $2000.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Muhammad Farruk,

It sounds like the contract you're referring to is Fixed Price. In general, Fixed-Price contracts allow clients to review the submitted milestone before they release payment from Escrow. Once the milestone is released, it's considered approved. For more information about that, feel free check this help article. You may try communicating with the freelancer and refer to the terms, including deadlines and scope, you discussed and agreed upon when setting up the contract. If you can't come to a solution, you can consider closing the contract and requesting a refund from the freelancer.
~ Valeria
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Stop being so interested in one underperforming freelancer!

Put your project first.

You shouldn't put the needs and concerns of that freelancer ahead of your own needs and concerns. That is what you are doing.

Hire multiple freelancers using hourly contracts. Assign tasks to the most valuable, productive team members. Fire the freelancers who don't provide you with great value.

If you have an important deadline, you can't hire just one unknown freelancer and expect to get the work done on time. That was a mistake. It does not work like that.

You need to only hire freelancers you have personally worked with before. Or hire multiple freelancers, using hourly contracts.

wont it double the cost if i hire 2 freelancers for same task?

Or is it that i hire more than 1 freelancer till first milestone to see who actually is the right guy?

re: "wont it double the cost if i hire 2 freelancers for same task?"

No.

Hire four freelancers.

Use hourly contracts.

Only one of them does any work.

You only pay one of them.

It is a "team project." But they aren't working directly with each other.

Once the work is done, you close all the contracts.

Or if you really want to use fixed-price:

Hire four freelancers for a $2000 project.

First milestone is $25.

Pick the one who does the best.

Pay only that one to finish the work.

Three get $25.

One gets $2000.

excellent idea but what about the freelancer who i hired and after wasting all the time, he hasnt provided me with the quality of work. 

re: "excellent idea but what about the freelancer who i hired and after wasting all the time, he hasnt provided me with the quality of work."

Just need to move on. You don't need to mentor him or teach him. You owe him nothing.

Not all freelancers provide quality work. That's one reason why we hire multiple people to do the same task. That way we can compare them and quickly fire the bad ones.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths