🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: UW freelancer altered my google account i...
Page options
c551720e
Community Member

UW freelancer altered my google account into HIS OWN NAME & EMAIL ADDRESS and i cannot get it back.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Please let me know where and how i can complain about the person on my last job. He is **Edited for Community Guidelines** and has stopped returning my messages about putting a problem right.

He altered my google account into his own name and email address and i cannot get it back. I did not EVER give him permission to take over my name and profile.

google is not allowing me to change it back to my name which i have had for over 10 years. its now under his name and his gmail account.

i am expecting upwork to help rectify this.

Thank you,

Charles

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "i am expecting Upwork to help rectify this."

How would Upwork rectify this?

You have a problem with your Google account. But this is not Google. This is Upwork. You would need to contact Google and/or the freelancer that has control of your account.

re: "He altered my google account into his own name and email address and i cannot get it back. I did not EVER give him permission to take over my name and profile."

Actually, you DID give him permission to take over your name and profile. Otherwise, he would not have been able to do so. You provided him with access to your account sufficient for him to do so. You used your Google account incorrectly. There are official ways to delegate authority but you did not use those methods and instead provided private account credentials to someone else.

I do not doubt that you now feel disappointed.

The freelancer who did this DID do something wrong.

But it is important to understand that Upwork doesn't have any secret way to change Google account settings.

Upwork was not party to the contract that you had with the freelancer.

You said that you want to complain about a freelancer. Well, you have now done so. But has doing so REALLY helped you? Not really.

Your goal should NOT be to complain about the freelancer. Your real goal should be to regain control of your account.

It is theoretically possible that Upwork could contact the freelancer on your behalf and ask him to return control of your Google account to you. But what if the freelancer says no? What if he doesn't reply to Upwork? He is not an employee of Upwork.

Your best course of action is to work with Google and/or the freelancer.

Is there a REASON that the freelancer changed your Google account credentials and won't talk to you now? It seems unlikely that a freelancer would do this for no reason at all.

If you want to file a complaint and leave things as they are, go ahead. But if it was me, I would first want to regain control of my account.

For example (and this is an EXAMPLE that has nothing to do with the original poster's situation):

What if a client hired a freelancer to do some work, and the freelancer did that work, and then the client did not pay the freelancer $50 as agreed? What if the freelancer then changed the client's account credentials and stopped talking to the client? Then the optimal solution for the client would be to pay the freelancer the $50 that she owes the freelancer and get her account back. Then AFTER she has her account back under her control and has changed her passwords, she could register a complaint about the freelancer if she wanted to.

Preston H wrote:

re: "i am expecting Upwork to help rectify this."

How would Upwork rectify this?

He didn't say he expected Upwork to rectify it, he said he expected Upwork to help.

How, you ask?

By leaning on the freelancer who hijacked the client's google account and suspending their account if it turns out the freelancer acted in bad faith.

That is a perfectly reasonable expectation.

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Charles,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. One of our team members already reached out to you directly to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you.

I have received communication from them, and i have answered.

I hope we can find a solution soon.

All the best.

Charles

my original google ads account has now DISAPPEARED.

freelancer returns his work money that i did not ask for, but if serious he has to give me much more so i can pay someone more capable and who can rectify it.

but..........
Its getting worse now......................................................my original google ads account has now DISAPPEARED. Freelancers email address is still inbedded and not removed. i cannot get to my original adwords

Its not the work done, but the damage caused to my Google account profile whilst using it.

Can someone (other freelancers please help) and get paid.

Thank you.

re: "Can someone (other freelancers please help) and get paid?"

Answer: Yes.

You may post a brief description of your current situation/problem as a job posting on the main site: Upwork.com.

Post this as an hourly contract. Use the word "consultation" or "consultant" in the job title.

Freelancers with Google Ads expertise will help you.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths