🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Unable to find freelancer who specializes...
Page options
randefriedman
Community Member

Unable to find freelancer who specializes in newspaper website UI

Hello, 

I am creating a newspaper website and need a graphic designer for UI. Not able to find a freelancer who is experienced in online newspapers. 

Preferably USA, UK or Canada.

9 REPLIES 9
resultsassoc
Community Member

A newspaper website is curated and organized content. I suspect that most of the freelancers who create UI, and/or UX, for organized content can do that. I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think you need to back up a step and determine what a newspaper website is. The origin of the content is for the most part irrelevant, the functions you want can't be unique to newspapers.

I'm reminded of a job post that appeared about a decade ago, seeking an expert in hip-hop clothing. Must live in northern Idaho. Right.

Bill,

Thank you for your reply, the freelancer that I am seeking understands the difference between a 2 or 3 column homepage with a plethora of articles versus a full width image homepage.

why don't you take a look at NY Times, Washington Post, or otehr newspaper sites.  You will get a better understanding of how the content is arranged on large screen and cell phone.

Your concept of 2-3 column for the whole page on desktop will look very ugly.

@Rande F wrote:

Bill,

Thank you for your reply, the freelancer that I am seeking understands the difference between a 2 or 3 column homepage with a plethora of articles versus a full width image homepage.

Rande, I'm really surprised that you cannot find anybody who can understand this concept. Maybe you should take some time to browse through the profiles of freelancers and hand-invite the ones who demonstrate the best skills.

I know squat about design, but ever I understand what you want to do.

Once you found someone suitable, hire them for a short paid test and you'll see if they have a grasp of what you want.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rande,  to translate key jargon used in the above posts:

At the most basic level, the user interface (UI) is the series of screens, pages, and visual elements—like buttons and icons—that you use to interact with a device.

User experience (UX), on the other hand, is the internal experience that a person has as they interact with every aspect of a company’s products and services.  User experience’ encompasses all aspects of the end-user’s interaction with the company, its services, and its products.  

UX is focused on the user’s journey to solve a problem, UI is focused on how a product’s surfaces look and function.

From the perspective of someone who specializes in writing and branding - UX is, by far, the most important aspect when it comes to running a successful business or newspaper-like website.

randefriedman
Community Member

Thanks to everyone who replied and gave advice. 

What I would like a Freelancer who is experienced the homepage layout of news websites to help with my layout.  I would like to know where the best spots on the page to place leading categories, reviews of food, movies etc, events, and more. Also, where to place the call to actions throughout the homepage.  

I'm sorry if I wasn't using the correct terminology. 

Rande,  no apology needed.  Search freelancers using UX (user experience) as your main criteria - I believe 'newspaper layout' did not yield results.

Take a look at profiles and portfolios.  Select the top 15 or so and send  a Private Invite to them. 

Do not just post the job for the general public as your need is rather unique  and slogging thru a ton of bids is too time consuming at this stage.

Write a thorough and comprehensive job description and indicate you would be happy to chat with interested bidders via Skype to further explain if needed.

Hope this helps.

@Wendy C wrote:

Write a thorough and comprehensive job description

The absolute key to a successful adventure on Upwork!

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Wendy and Rene are spot on. In thirty seconds I just found more than fifty Wordpresss thremes for newspapers and magazines. Most experienced Wordpress professionals can work with almost every theme. Try a search for Wordpress and User Experience. Both of my websites are Wordpress, done by the same woman; one is business consulting,  the other is an author site. She just developed a concept for a client who is a high-end niche developer.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths