🐈
» Forums » Clients » Unexpected fees charged to Client
Page options
d9ceb23b
Community Member

Unexpected fees charged to Client

Hi everyone,

I recently posted a job on Upwork and was charged USD $29.99. I did not wish to pay anything and there was no indication of anything fees being charged when I was inputting the information of the job.

Does anyone know what went wrong?

Thank you,

Darren

9 REPLIES 9
bobafett999
Community Member

I am not sure, but I believe it has something to do with funded fixed price contacts.  They charge that money and put in escrow as a good faith money.  You are still in control though.  You can ask for revisions and when everything is done by the freelacer you can approve the release of funds.  If you don't hire anyone you can ask for refund of funds.

@Prashant P wrote:

I am not sure, but I believe it has something to do with funded fixed price contacts.  They charge that money and put in escrow as a good faith money.

There is no such thing. Not at the time of posting a job.

The OP likely chose to have his job featured, which costs that amount.

d9ceb23b
Community Member

Good day Upwork Team,

I recently posted a job and was charged USD 29.99. Upon contacting the Customer Support Team, I was explained that this amount was charged because I plced a check mark indicating that I want to boost my job's visibility.

This amount was charged in a very ambiguous way. I was completely not aware that placing this check mark would mean that I have to pay this amount, not to mention that I did not know for how much I was going to be charged.

I would like to achieve 2 things by writing to you:

1/ I would like to ask for your help to refund this amount to me, because (1) I was completely unaware that I had to pay to boost the job's visibility (I had thought that this is a free feature as a part of Upwork's customer experience) and (2) it was completely not in my intention to have to pay this amount.

2/ I would like to propose an idea to put a link in the text next to this check box to explain further what entails boosting a job's visibility, what the fees and benefits of this option are. I learnt this the hard way and I believe I am not the only one. I would like to propose this change in the hope that no one will make the same mistake as I did out of pure unawareness.

Thank you very much. I appreciate your understanding.

Best regards,

Darren

This is exactly how I feel. Did anyone manage to sort it out?

It feels so intrusive for people to withdraw money from you against your will or knowledge. 

So , @Darren P , did you manage to get this resolved for yourself?

Best,

Keeley

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Darren,

Someone from the team will reach out to assist you directly regarding this issue. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
d9ceb23b
Community Member

I appreciate your response, Bojan!

66e96ed3
Community Member

That is exactly what has happened to me! And I can't get to the bottom of it! They don't have a helpline! Did you manage to get it back/ figure out what it was for? Is it a one off? I really hate when services have hidden costs. People should be warned.

Best,

Keeley

66e96ed3
Community Member

Bojan,

It seems you are the man to speak to. Before I comission any more work (and I had the intention of outsourcing a bunch of projects) I want to know why I was unwillingly charged $29.99. It was done in a very sneaky way and it seems impossible to get in touch with a human to correct it. Please get back to me immediately so I can either withdraw entirely or continue seeking the services of your freelancers. 

It is now very clear from online reviews that loads of people have complained about this. Surely 30 dollars isn't enough to justify having a reputation for taking money without explicit consent...?

Hi Keeley,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via email to assist you further and provide additional information.

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths