🐈
» Forums » Clients » Unexpected payment dedication in local curren...
Page options
067bd11b
Community Member

Unexpected payment dedication in local currency(CAD)

I hired a person for my project for $800 CAD . I assumed that deduction on my credit card will be in local currency (CAD).

Unexpectedly , upwork did the conversion and charged me $1172 CAD Dollar.  This deduction came to me as shock as in my opinion freelancer is already charging me more than I was willing to pay. I asked developer to work for $500 but he agreed in the end on $800. 

And on top of all this upwork did the conversion and my payment reached $1172 CAD Dollar. I am so much disappointed on the whole platform. 

Also , I need to end the contract here. I dont think that deliverables worth that much of the money.

Please I want some one from the communtiy managers to suggest me the for next steps here and process my refund.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
anna_babicheva
Community Member

Hi Saima, 

I'm sorry you've gotten a little confused. 

There is no such thing as CAD on Upwork. Upwork works only in USD. If you didn't specifically talk to a freelancer about your project costs being calculated in CAD, than a freelancer has assumed that you're discussing the project cost in USD. 

You have read and agreed to terms and condtions of the platform, in theory. 

I would strongly suggest not to go through a refund process, as you have agreed to a specific number and I assume the freelancer have completed the project. You can't really change your mind after the work is done, that this isn't worth your investment. In my opinion, if you couldn't afford the agreed price you shouldn't have agreed to it in the first place. 

Best of luck!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
anna_babicheva
Community Member

Hi Saima, 

I'm sorry you've gotten a little confused. 

There is no such thing as CAD on Upwork. Upwork works only in USD. If you didn't specifically talk to a freelancer about your project costs being calculated in CAD, than a freelancer has assumed that you're discussing the project cost in USD. 

You have read and agreed to terms and condtions of the platform, in theory. 

I would strongly suggest not to go through a refund process, as you have agreed to a specific number and I assume the freelancer have completed the project. You can't really change your mind after the work is done, that this isn't worth your investment. In my opinion, if you couldn't afford the agreed price you shouldn't have agreed to it in the first place. 

Best of luck!

My work is not completed and I am not satisfied with quality of work so far . I am not willing to move forward with this . As I mentioned the work he is doing doesnt worth 1100 CAD to me. I will request refund . 

If the work is not completed, than the money should not have been released.

I assume you're working on a fixed-price project, you could have requested changes to the submited milestone prior to releasing the money to the freelancer. 

If the money have already been paid to a freelancer, it only means you have approved the submited work. 

I don't know the details of your project, but it looks like it wasn't set up properly. Just something to be aware for the future.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths