cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

United States veterans group?

Ace Contributor
David E Member Since: Feb 19, 2011
1 of 17

I reposted my job and I tried to take advantage of the region option when posting jobs. I selected United States then I seen an option to allow veterans, being a veteran my self I thought this would be a cool option.

I also choose only freelancers with over 100 hours.

After a couple of days I see very few post.

Most of them has no previous hours or jobs completed. None of them are from United States. One guy calls him self. Big Serge but he is from Russia. Moscow, United States.

What gives. It seems that I am weeding all the United States workers. I am a bit offended that we have so many claiming veteran status when clearly they are not.

Am I misunderstanding the word veterans?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 17

@David E wrote:

I reposted my job and I tried to take advantage of the region option when posting jobs. I selected United States then I seen an option to allow veterans, being a veteran my self I thought this would be a cool option.

I also choose only freelancers with over 100 hours.

After a couple of days I see very few post.

Most of them has no previous hours or jobs completed. None of them are from United States. One guy calls him self. Big Serge but he is from Russia. Moscow, United States.

What gives. It seems that I am weeding all the United States workers. I am a bit offended that we have so many claiming veteran status when clearly they are not.

Am I misunderstanding the word veterans?

Report "Big Serge" for having a fake profile.

If you are not getting responses from your preferred area that likely means that the skills and experience you ask for are not available within your budget in the US.

I have never seen the "veterans" filter so not sure what that is all about, but as it says "allow" or "include" it would not filter out others, just include those.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 17

Hi David,

Please note that the option you selected doesn't include all veterans from the US but only those who are already members of the group you selected. Furthermore, this group includes freelancers from all categories, which you can confirm by following this link. Also note that your job post is available to all Upwork freelancers and isn't limited just to members of the US Military Veterans group.

Please note that you can change the status of the job but I'd advise you to reconsider the experience level you selected in order to get a better response from qualified freelancers.

Ace Contributor
David E Member Since: Feb 19, 2011
4 of 17

Thanks,

This is exactly what I was thinking...

I did let the project run because I could not figure how to modify it..

And I hired the most talanted freelancer so far in this field. 

It was not exactly what I was looking for but this freelancer reached out and put his offer on the table and I accepted.

Thanks.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 17

@David E wrote:

Thanks,

This is exactly what I was thinking...

I did let the project run because I could not figure how to modify it..

And I hired the most talanted freelancer so far in this field. 

It was not exactly what I was looking for but this freelancer reached out and put his offer on the table and I accepted.

Thanks.

David,

Something else to consider and that Vlad didn't point out - a lot of freelancers do not work hourly jobs, but rather flat rate.

Those jobs do not count towards anything on our profiles, so you may be missing out on many qualified freelancers if you're specifying a certain number of hours.

Community Guru
Jeri B Member Since: Feb 15, 2010
6 of 17

David - 

A few months back the US Military Veterans Group hit a snag and whoever applied was automatically accepted. As a result, a number of Upworkers who can't follow instructions or read the qualications gamed the system and were let in.

If someone is clearly not a military veteran, feel free to report to Upwork, but keep in mind, we have a lot of great veterans that live in other parts of the world. Still, Upwork's designated veteran point of contact can validate that user's claim quite easily.

Thanks for seek US Military Veterans.

Jeri B

Chris S Member Since: Apr 14, 2017
7 of 17

I am new to the forum, Could you please tell me what this veteran group is about ? I also wanted to know if there was an option for me to offer discount any of my clients who are veterans. 

Jody S Member Since: Jun 14, 2017
8 of 17

Does anyone know how to submit properly to be identified as a veteran freelancer? I would gladly sublit a copy of my DD214. I could not find any setting or area in the profile setup that would let me do this.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 17

Hi Jody,

Please, apply to join the group here if you haven't already and let us know if you run into any issues.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Michele P Member Since: Mar 2, 2016
10 of 17

Thank you for hiring Vets - Smiley Very Happy

and thank you for shopping in the US market

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS