Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlicensd Images

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 14

Jennifer: Good point.

No matter how many checks Upwork conducts, it will never be able to guarantee clients that a freelancer they hire won't pull a punk move like this.

The closest thing Upwork offers is the client feedback found in a freelancer's work history. If a freelancer had pattern of doing something like this, it might eventually show up in her work history. But even this is no guarantee. Remember: the client who originated this thread did not find out about the freelancer's use of an unlicensed image until after the contract was closed.

Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
12 of 14

Hmmm... I googled Getty images, as Petra suggested. From the articles I found, it sounds like they might pursue this when the image came from another stock photography site (Sometimes the same images turn up on more than one stock site). It may also be a problem if the image is licensed in a different name than the end client. Of course, one should always be cautious about what they read on the web, but some of the articles seemed credible.

I have been shopping around for stock image services and reading the various licenses. Sometimes my writing or social media clients ask me to source images for them. I even reached out to support before subscribing to find out to what extent I can use images for client's projects. The answer varies widely by the service and by the type of license. Some images are only for editorial use (no commercial use), some are for personal use, and some limit the commercial use to specific applications. Some require attribution. Some require that the image is not used in certain industries. 

My comparison shopping led me to the conclusion that the ideal is if the client has their own subscription to a stock image site that fits their needs. Some of the better ones include insurance in case someone claims copyright violation for use of one of their images (provided that the subscriber acts within the site's terms and conditions.) When I source an image for a client outside of their own subscription, I mostly stick to the free stock sites and I send the client a link to the licensing information. 

Disclosure: Getty is not one of the services I looked at since it was a little above my budget. I don't know that much about Getty. It could well be the freelancer was a scoundrel, but it might be an honest mistake. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 14

Even if a web designer is a saint and not a scoundrel, he could still make a costly mistake if he simply downloads an image file from somewhere and doesn't license it properly.

I would characterize this as "unprofessional."

Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
14 of 14

@Preston H wrote:

Even if a web designer is a saint and not a scoundrel, he could still make a costly mistake if he simply downloads an image file from somewhere and doesn't license it properly.

I would characterize this as "unprofessional."

I agree! The freelancer should know the specifics about the permissions and communicate that to the client.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS