cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unprofessional Freelancers

Highlighted
Airi Y Member Since: Jan 20, 2017
1 of 6

We spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars training an employee for many weeks and then he just quit with no notice. Does Upwork mediate on this type of scenarios? I feel like since they also get a percentage of the freelancer's fee they should be able to talk to freelancers to get him for example, into showing up for work or else escalate the issue.

I understand that this is part of the risk of hiring a freelancer and that we can leave a bad feedback. But, it's still unfair that we do not get a refund for the money that was spent for such behavior. 

Can you help?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 6

undefined:

Does Upwork mediate on this type of scenarios?

Nope. There is nothing to mediate.

The beauty of freelancing for both a client and a freelancer is that either is free to end a contract any time they want. You do not buy a freelancer forever just because you pay them. 

I feel like since they also get a percentage of the freelancer's fee

The fee is a) paid by the freelancer and b) does not include freelancer-management. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jutta B Member Since: Jun 7, 2016
3 of 6

It's not an upwork issue. the word Freelancer means the person (and emplyer) is FREE. I.e. leave if and when you want. If a client doesn't want to take that risk than hire a permanent on-site employee.

" The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be "
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 6

@Jutta B wrote:

If a client doesn't want to take that risk than hire a permanent on-site employee.

They can walk out any time they like, too. Smiley Wink especially during the initial probationary period.

Chaining employees (let alone freelancers) to a job tends to be frowned upon in most cultures these days....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
5 of 6

People who do this, flaking after a paid training, deserve a bad feedback. They heap opprobrium on other freelancers.

Unfortunately, there is nothing that Upwork can do. If payment for training was agreed upon by both the parties, taking it back from the trainee makes no sense, even if they behavior after the training is not fair towards the client.

I believe that there is a specific category of people who behave this way. These should be avoided at, literally, any cost.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 6

It's hard to understand how weeks of paid training would ever play into a freelancing relationship. That sounds like an employee. In fact, in the U.S., that's one of the factors the IRS considers in determining whether a worker is truly an independent contractor or is basically an employee who is being classified as an independent contractor to help the employer circumvent tax obligations.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS