🐈
» Forums » Clients » Unresponsive client - not getting paid for wo...
Page options
eluned
Community Member

Unresponsive client - not getting paid for work

So I may have messed up here. I applied for a job posting and having discussed pricing, was offered a different job (with lower pay) than the one advertised. I accepted nontheless and was unsure about how official it was, as the client usually then sets up a contract. In good faith I began work, a little later than normal as I was unsure about the lack of contract.

I completed the work and sent it to the client, expecting to get paid that day.

I asked them for notes and they said they would get back to me and have since asked for payment, but have no response.

Can I dispute this or do I figuratively have no leg to stand on?

Thanks for your help!

E

E

4 REPLIES 4
emiguelina
Community Member

Eluned M wrote:

So I may have messed up here. I applied for a job posting and having discussed pricing, was offered a different job (with lower pay) than the one advertised. I accepted nontheless and was unsure about how official it was, as the client usually then sets up a contract. In good faith I began work, a little later than normal as I was unsure about the lack of contract.

I asked them for notes and they said they would get back to me and have since asked for payment, but have no response.

Thanks for your help!

Sorry, but you're not that new, so you should know this: No contract = You worked for free.

Unless the client really wants to pay you there's nothing to dispute.

Lesson learned and move on.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

If you didn't have a contract through which to either submit work for fixed-price payment or log hours, then in all likelihood you worked for free. Hopefully, it was a small job and an inexpensive lesson.

hijaziebadsyed
Community Member

Hi Eluned,
No you can't. But in future you should make sure that the contract is started then do your work. Because there are many clients who wants free work. Now forget it and move on.
colettelewis
Community Member

Eluned M wrote:

Thanks for your help!

E

E

No contract - no money - no dispute. 

I am also surprised that you did the work.  I thought from your post you were new, but you have worked several jobs and you should really have known better. Tant pis - most of us have made similar mistakes, so move on. 😉

However, if this was a writing job, then you can tell this client, that since you have not been paid, you own the copyright and that they have no right to use your work that if you see it on the internet, you will ask for a takedown. If it was editing or proofreading, that would be more difficult - so take it as an Upwork lesson learned. Never take on a job without a contract.   

ETA: On a fixed rate job with escrow funded, when you submit the work and press the release funds button, the client then has 14 days in which to review the work, so you might not get paid immediately. Even if you do, it still takes about five days before your money is released into your account.  

Latest Articles
Learning Paths