🐈
» Forums » Clients » Unresponsive freelancer
Page options
07f3065d
Community Member

Unresponsive freelancer

My Freelancer quoted the job would be done in a couple of weeks and that he had just completed a simeilar job for another client.

After a while he found the job too overwhelming and now he ahas stopped working and responding

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jr-translation
Community Member

Jonas S wrote:

My Freelancer quoted the job would be done in a couple of weeks and that he had just completed a simeilar job for another client.

After a while he found the job too overwhelming and now he ahas stopped working and responding

People tend to go quiet when they hope a problem will solve itself that way.

When you close the contract, you have the chance to make 3 people happy.

A: youself, by putting an end to this misery,

B: the freelancer, because he does not now how to solve the probleme,

C: another freelancer that will be able to do the jobm for you.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
prestonhunter
Community Member

Jonas: this really doesn't matter. You are a businessman, and not that freelancer's mentor or uncle.

So you simply have the other freelancers on your team finish the work.

As a businessman, you put your project first. You are not concerned about training or tutoring a single freelancer.

jr-translation
Community Member

Jonas S wrote:

People tend to go quiet when they hope a problem will solve itself that way.

When you close the contract, you have the chance to make 3 people happy.

A: youself, by putting an end to this misery,

B: the freelancer, because he does not now how to solve the probleme,

C: another freelancer that will be able to do the jobm for you.

I have an editor who agreed to a budget ($500) and has since missed three deadlines and is not communicating with me. He also has media I sent him that is valuable and does not belong to him. What are my options? He is making excuses about "my computer crashed" (missed deadline 1) and "my grandfather had a heart attack (missed deadlines 2 and 3). He refuses to respond to texts, although I have been very accommodating, even offering a bonus for completed work. 

Thanks

Matt

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Matt,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this freelancer. Our team will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you to get in touch with the freelancer and advise you on further steps.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
b6331370
Community Member

Hello I also, have lost contact with my freelancer suddenly. Communication was great and before I close the job I wanted to asked upwork if they can try to contact the freelancer and confirm that he lost interest or if he stop communicating for some other reason. Can’t find a direct way to request this.

re: "I also, have lost contact with my freelancer suddenly. Communication was great and before I close the job I wanted to asked upwork if they can try to contact the freelancer and confirm that he lost interest or if he stop communicating for some other reason. Can’t find a direct way to request this."

You don't need to contact Upwork. There is nothing they can do to help you.

If this freelancer does not want to work with you any more, how much does it matter if it is because he lost interest? Or if the real reason is that he move to Spain? Or if he adopted puppies?

Hi Zina,

I shared your request with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

re: "What are my options?"

Matt:
This freelancer doesn't want to finish working on your project.

What options do you have?
You have MANY options.

Your options include continuing to work with this underperforming freelancer.

But why? What do you gain out of it? Put your project first.

Stop communicating with that freelancer.

Close the contract now. Edit the amount of escrow money to be released to zero.

If the freelancer doesn't proactively do anything, then ALL the money currently in escrow will be returned to you.

Meanwhile, hire other people to work on the project. Hire 3 different people. Use hourly contracts only. Coordinate the work that they do to avoid overlap.

Matt M wrote:

I have an editor who agreed to a budget ($500) and has since missed three deadlines and is not communicating with me. He also has media I sent him that is valuable and does not belong to him. What are my options? He is making excuses about "my computer crashed" (missed deadline 1) and "my grandfather had a heart attack (missed deadlines 2 and 3). He refuses to respond to texts, although I have been very accommodating, even offering a bonus for completed work. 

Thanks

Matt

You say "I'm very sorry about your computer and your grandfather. Unfortunately I need to get these deadlines met so I'm ending the contract. I wish you the best of luck and thank you for the effort." Then end the contract and find someone who can do the work. 

Patrick:
I must emphasize in the clearest way possible that you are using Upwork incorrectly. What you are doing may result in very unpleasant circumstances for you. Very soon.

It is NOT Upwork's intention that you release escrow payments to this freelancer WITHOUT receiving the work you are paying him to do.

That is NOT how fixed-price contracts work.

What if this client disappears and you never receive these files?
That would be your fault.

Upwork will not refund your money. Upwork will not send you your files. Upwork does not have your files.

Now I will explain how you are supposed to use Upwork if you are using fixed-price contracts:

You set up a fixed-price task milestone. The freelancer agrees to do a specific task, typically with a specific deliverable. Then the freelancer SENDS YOU THE FILE(s). All of the files associated with the task that were agreed upon as deliverables. The files are NOT locked or disabled or "watermarked" in any way. Then YOU (the client, or your designatee or project manager) reviews the work. You make sure that you have received everything as specified in the agreed-upon task description. THEN you release payment.

If the freelancer doesn't do the work, then you can close the contract and edit the amount of money to be released to zero. This causes a refund request to be automatically generated. If the freelancer does nothing (because he completely disappeared) then ALL OF THE remaining escrow money will be returned to you automatically.

Of course you must NOT do this if the freelancer actually did the work. If the freelancer actually did the work and provided it to you, then you need to release payment.

re: "I'm also concerned as I already provided three of four milestone payments and I've seen the work product, but he will not share it with me because he is scared of me taking the code and running."

No.

That is not how this works.

This freelancer is either horribly ignorant of how to use Upwork properly. Or the freelancer knows FULL WELL how to use Upwork properly and is deliberately tricking you.

These files - the work product - DO NOT BELONG to the freelancer. It is not the freelancer's "choice" to not "share" the files with you. If these files are what the milestone tasks stipulate as the work product/deliverable, then the files belong to you (the paying client).

re: "has also changed his cell phone number has had COVID (apparently twice), and requests me send him payment through a different e-mail account than the one we agreed to on Upwork."

What does that even mean?

As clients, we do not send payments through "email accounts." We send payments only through Upwork. If you have sent money directly to this freelancer, then you have violated one of Upwork's most important rules. And the freelancer has done so as well.

re: "Every week seems to be a new excuse for why the work isn't done. Suffice it to say, all very shady and I'm wondering what my options are. I still see him on Upwork and would like this to just be over and get whatever he has and hire a freelancer or someone I trust."

You do not have very many options.

It will NOT COST you anything to try one final, last-ditch effort to try to get files from this freelancer. The files may be completely useless, but go ahead do the following. Tell the freelancer:

"Bertrand: Thank you again for your work on the project. The screenshots you sent me look great, and I am looking forward to using this. For technical reasons, I need to archive all of the files now. Pease go ahead and send me everything that has been finished so far. You can use a zip archive if that is most convenient for you. If you will do that by the end of the day today, I will not report you to Upwork for not sending the files. (Obviously I don't want to report you at all, but I would need to do so if you don't send the files.)"

At this point, one of two things will happen:

a) the freelancer will send you the files

[or]

b) the freelancer will NOT send you anything; and (in fact) the freelancer will probably disappear competely, block you, etc.

EITHER WAY: You should then stop communicating with the freelancer in any way. Of course you should not send the freelancer any money. It sounds to me, from your description, that all the money you sent was sent to him directly, in violation of Upwork ToS.

Having concluded your interactions with this freelancer, you may post jobs on Upwork, while making sure that you do so properly and that all payments go through Upwork only. You should probably hire an independent project manager, because you do not know how to manage a project like this on your own.

Thanks for the response and education. What is my recourse for flagging the freelancer? He looks like he has great reviews.

It looks like the freelancer has done the work (I have an app prototype), but no code. With regards to the payment, we are still paying through upwork, just on a different e-mail account than what I have set up here.

re: "What is my recourse for flagging the freelancer?"

On every freelancer's profile page there is a "Flag as inappropriate" link button.

You may find this in the top right hand corner of the page, or under the "Three Dots" icon.

There are options for reporting specific violations, such as requesting payment off-platform, and there is a general purpose option. Regardless of the option you choose, you may type in additional information in a free-form text box.

re: "It looks like the freelancer has done the work (I have an app prototype), but no code."

if the freelancer has actually done the work, and actually provides you with the source code, then that is a good thing. If the freelancer never provides you with the source code, you have wasted your time and money.

IN THE FUTURE:
If any freelancer refuses to turn over the files to you that you paid for, then immediately stop working with that freelancer. There is never any excuse for that sort of behavior from a freelancer. The only exception would be in a fixed-price contract which states that deliverables will NOT be all of the files. For example, if you hire a freelancer to create a website banner image for you, and the only deliverable is a final .png file, then the freelancer DOES NOT NEED to give you the component files that were used to create it, such as the raw Photoshop or Illustrator file.

But I seriously doubt that in your present situation, the milestone task descriptions stipulated that the freelancer will NOT deliver source code and will only show you an app prototype.

Bottom line for me:
If this freelancer delivers the source code to you, and starts communicating professionally, and if you really are paying through Upwork... Then maybe this situation CAN BE REDEEMED. But everything you have said about this situation so far seems very fishy. I believe there may be a VERY SLIM chance for the freelancer to come back from this and start doing things the right way. But I am not holding out very much hope.

beaf3991
Community Member

Hi Everyone , 

My hired freelancer ghosted me after completing the first milestone. I tried reaching out to him on 3 occassion but he did not reply even though his status is online. How do I move on from here if I want to cancel the contract and refund the money from my escrow. Cant seem to find the option to terminate the contract. Any help would be great. Thank you. 

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Hubert,

I checked your contract and it looks like you were already able to submit an Escrow Refund request. You can check out this help article to learn all about Escrow Refunds and the next steps.

~Andrea
Upwork

re: "My hired freelancer ghosted me after completing the first milestone. I tried reaching out to him on 3 occassion but he did not reply even though his status is online. How do I move on from here if I want to cancel the contract and refund the money from my escrow. Cant seem to find the option to terminate the contract. Any help would be great. Thank you."

All you need to do is close the contract. When you do, you will have an opportuity to request a refund of the money in escrow. If the freelancer does nothing, then the money will be returned to you AUTOMATICALLY.

[UPDATE: Forum moderator Andrea confirmed that you ALREADY did this.]

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths