🐈
» Forums » Clients » Unsatisfied with work
Page options
f5640712
Community Member

Unsatisfied with work

I just had a question regarding what to do when my freelancing did not meet certain criterion and did not complete the task as they said they would in the proposal. Is it an option to not pay them? TIA
4 REPLIES 4
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Humza,

In general, when a freelancer has worked it means that they need to get paid. If your freelancer was hired on a fixed price contract, you have the option to release a partial amount.
I would recommend communicating with your freelancer further on how it can be resolved with a positive outcome for both parties. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

If I pay a partial amount, do I have to pay the rest later or is the freelancer getting a partial amount for their effort, but not being able to solve the task?

re: "If I pay a partial amount, do I have to pay the rest later or is the freelancer getting a partial amount for their effort, but not being able to solve the task?"

You would work that out with the freelancer.

That is not something you would discuss with Upwork.

If you hire a freelancer who is not capable of doing the job to your satisfaction, then the best practice for a client is to stop wasting time with that freelancer. There are millions of freelancers on Upwork. You should focus your efforts on your project. Don't try to mentor or train freelancers who aren't capable of doing what you need.

You may talk to a freelancer, explain that you can't use his work, and ask him to accept partial a payment. Then end things.

You have the option to click a "Request Changes" button which postpones payment and lets you specify something you want the freelancer to change.

You may simply release the full payment and close the contract and not talk to the freelancer any more.

You may release a partial payment to the freelancer for the work that he has done so far, and then ask him to continue trying, and pay him some more.

My best tip is to put YOURSELF first. Not the freelancer. One of the best ways to do that, if you see that a freelancer's work doesn't meet your standards, is to release full payment, close the contract, and stop spending time with the freelancer.

Basically, if you want to pay less than the full agreed-upon amount, without going to arbitration, then you need to get the freelancer's permission.

There is no button on the client side that lets you unilaterally "Click this button to NOT pay freelancer."

In employment-styled "consulting environment" work of this general nature.  (Think Big Four: Ernst, Price, KMPG, Deloitte.  Or the strat consultancies, i.e. McKenzie, Booze, BCG.  Or the globals, such as Accenture, CapgG).  In those cultures:  the failure of a Jr. or subcontractor is specifically tagged to the Snr consultant or hiring contractor.  Yes. The failing Jr is tagged hard.  The managing Snr is tagged harder.

Food for thought.

John.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths