cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted service offers through email after having worked with freelancers/agencies

Antony B Member Since: Jul 24, 2015
1 of 8

Did anybody experience this:

As soon as your work with an agency/freelancer through UpWork, your mailbox gets filled many unwanted offers from other freelancers/agencies with no Unsubscribe link on top of that?

Maybe, UpWork should insist a little more on freelancers/agencies, so that they don't communicate the email addresses of their clients to every cousin out there.

Thanks for your thoughts

Kevin R Member Since: Nov 4, 2015
2 of 8

Yes. I didn't hire anybody just yet but I am about to.

The thing that bothers me is the crazy amount of emails I get from Upwork.

I went into settings and unchecked everybox and clicked "Save Changes" but nothing seems to happen.

I refresh the page and all the boxes are all checked again.

Community Guru
Julianne G Member Since: Oct 21, 2015
3 of 8

Amen.  When I posted a recent job, I received two emails for every invited response.  Even after extending offers to three freelancers, I received one or two emails DAILY saying, "JOE SCHMOE is ready to begin!" When I opened one of them thinking it was a freelancer that I had made an offer to, I was disappointed to find out that it was just a random freelancer who had bid on my job, with suggestions for three more possible candidates--none to whom I had extended an offer.  I continued to receive these spammy emails until I closed the job, sometimes twice a day.  For the whole job, which was open for two or three days, I received about 25 to 30 emails in total.  A bit much for my taste.

--Juli

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 8

Hi Antony and others,

We are currently experiencing a bug that prevents users to update their notification settings and the team is working on fixing it. Once it's fixed, you will be able to un-check the types of notifications you don't wish to receive.

Screenshot_1.png

~ Valeria
Untitled
Antony B Member Since: Jul 24, 2015
5 of 8

Thanks for your answers, but my concern is not about emails from UpWork or its registered freelancers, but the fact that, once you've hired a freelancer through UW, your email gets shared with many of his/her acquaintances and your mailbox get filled with unwanted service offers.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 8

It works both ways. I often get added to email lists too when a customer and I work with their product. It's annoying sometimes, but as long as they honor the unsubscribe, it's fine. If they don't honor the unsubscribed they get dumped into gmail's bozo bin. With enough of those, they will be complaining soon that their emails aren't reaching customers.

Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
7 of 8

@Antony B wrote:

Thanks for your answers, but my concern is not about emails from UpWork or its registered freelancers, but the fact that, once you've hired a freelancer through UW, your email gets shared with many of his/her acquaintances and your mailbox get filled with unwanted service offers.

Yeah it's frustrating but it happens.  You are hiring the type of people who do this.  If you hire the right people, this doesn't happen.  I've never given out an email address for solicitation.

When I get random freelancers sending me solicitations, I tell them to bugger-off.  Sometimes they find me on Facebook or LinkedIn to avoid using connects or Upwork for payments.  Slimey little bastards!  Cat Wink

Adam R Member Since: Sep 26, 2013
8 of 8

I blocked all mails from odesk, its the only way. When I need to check in on something I log into the site.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS