🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: UpWork's completed W9 form
Page options
f7ef1d2f
Community Member

UpWork's completed W9 form

Hello! Our company's finance team needs me to provide UpWork's W9 form before I can proceed paying any freelancers through UpWork. I wasn't able to find the completed W9 form anywhere. Can you please attach or provide UpWork's W9 form to me? 

Thanks! 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Dawn,

Please note that Upwork is an online marketplace where clients directly engage and pay freelancers to perform services. Clients do not pay the freelancer service fees to Upwork. Instead, Upwork's affiliate, Upwork Escrow Inc., acts as an escrow agent and passes funds from the client to the freelancer. In general, since the service fees are paid to your freelancer through the escrow service, we do not believe a W-9 is necessary.

If you have any further questions about your Upwork account, please contact our support team by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.
~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

164 REPLIES 164
kirnazdogan
Community Member

In the Form W-9 page, there is a guide for you to complete the form. Also, there is a sentence that says: "The directions are the same as filling out the paper Form W-9 form from the IRS."  If you need an IRS W-9 pdf document, you can find it over here

Hi Dogan! Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm not a freelancer but a client/company who needs UpWork's W9 form so our finance team can proceed with payment requests to UpWork. Can you help me get the W9 form? 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Parisa,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to address your request. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
f7ef1d2f
Community Member

Thanks, Bojan. 

Thank you

Hello,

Our company needs a W9 form from Upwork as well. This is for tax credit filing for 2019. Thanks!

Thank you for reaching out to us, Manish.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to address your request. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello, my company neweds Upwork's W9 form to start working with upwork freelancers. How can I get it?

Hi Valeryia,

Someone from our team has reached out to you via support ticket in order to assist you with this.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Hellow, how can we request a W9 from Upwork? We need it for tax credit filing. Thank you.

Good question

80623bfe
Community Member

I have the same request for Upwork's w9, as well as proof of insurance. How can I request or  obtain these items? Thanks a bunch!

Hi Candice,

One of our agents will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
56fd5606
Community Member

Hello, 

How do I obtain a W-9 signed by Upwork?

Thank you 

Hi Robin,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
franckdg
Community Member

Hello,

I need a filled and signed W-9 as well.

thanks,

Hi Franck,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to help you with this.

~Andrea
Upwork
53014d86
Community Member

Hello,

I need a filled and signed W-9 as well. 

Thanks.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for letting us know! One of our agents will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you.

~Andrea
Upwork
5a93bd52
Community Member

Hi! I'm an agency as well that also needs a filled and signed w9 from Upwork. I need it by 1/27/2022. Please advise. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ayana, 

A member of the Customer Support Team will contact you directly via email to assist you. 

~ Avery
Upwork
6731fd26
Community Member

Hi, my company also needs a completed and signed w9 from Upwork. Please help. Thank you!

Hi there,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
6731fd26
Community Member

Hi, my company also needs a completed and signed w9 from Upwork. Please help. Thank you!

Hi there, 

Our team will reach out to you via ticket as well and will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
871f9a50
Community Member

Hi,  I need a completed and signed W-9 as well from upwork.  Thank You.  

Hi Robert,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you with your request.

~Andrea
Upwork
e51f0e91
Community Member

Hello, my company needs Upwork's W9 form to start working with upwork freelancers. How can I get it?

Hi Sean,

Thank you for reaching out to us. To provide Upwork with your Form W-9 please follow the steps below. 

• Go to Settings  Tax Information
  • Provide us with your:
    • Legal Name – Your own name, or your business name if you're filing as a company entity
    • Address – Where Upwork will mail your Form 1099-K or other tax forms, if necessary
    • Filing Status – Type of IRS tax filing you will use for earnings
    • Taxpayer Identification Number – TIN type and # you will use for your IRS tax filing

The directions are the same as filling out the paper Form W-9 form from the IRS. Please contact your local accountant or tax advisor if you have questions about your filing status or TIN. You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork
e51f0e91
Community Member

Hey Nikola,

My company actually needs UpWork's W-9, I'm not trying to submit one.  The same request as Robert R.'s above.

Sean

Hi Sean,

A Customer Support Team member will be reaching out to you through a support ticket to assist you further with your concern shortly.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
03a48d35
Community Member

My company needs Upwork's W-9 as well. Same request as previous requesters.

Hi Mitch,

We appreciate you reaching out to us. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ Arjay
Upwork
4ec6bf8f
Community Member

My accounting team is requesting a W9 from Upwork, but I have not been able to acquire one. Can someone please assist?

Hi there, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
4ab1e080
Community Member

We need a W9 as well.  Could someone please send us one?

Hi Dawn,

Please note that Upwork is an online marketplace where clients directly engage and pay freelancers to perform services. Clients do not pay the freelancer service fees to Upwork. Instead, Upwork's affiliate, Upwork Escrow Inc., acts as an escrow agent and passes funds from the client to the freelancer. In general, since the service fees are paid to your freelancer through the escrow service, we do not believe a W-9 is necessary.

If you have any further questions about your Upwork account, please contact our support team by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.
~Andrea
Upwork
f0dd6345
Community Member

Hi,

Our accountant says we need a W-9 for Upwork. Can you please provide me a copy?

Thank you,

David

fdb96e8c
Community Member

Well so why do you ask freelancers for W9? why are you not sharing the freelancer W9 with us after the work was done? wouldnt it make it easier for everyone ?

Latest Articles
Learning Paths