cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upfront fee's help

jobsonthego
Shaun F Member Since: Jun 11, 2013
21 of 25
This be last time we use these forums as Delusional clients on here So go into a shop and find out what happens when you buy a pint of milk and say ill pay later its the same principle in freelancing but odesk does not seem to get that We pay lower rates as we do not need huge web site builds we have developers to do it in the UK we use odesk for data entry and research and some small development work and we always pay $80+ for small jobs it does not stop contractors asking for upfront fee's If your silly enough to give a upfront fee to someone over odesk wait till a contractor or freelancer scams you on here good and proper then don't moan on here about it as thats what your advice is coming across like This is how to tackle these soughts of issues going on - on odesk 1. implement escrow for milestone payments and upfront fee's 2. the contractor can login to see the money being placed in a escrow part of odesk 3. they will start the work 4. give a update - pay the upfront fee 5. if work does not start again or freelancer does not respond retract the upfront fee from the escrow or client dashboard and cancel the job 6. you never let a contractor take money out of there account why ongoing projects are still on going just in case of a dispute We have hired very good contractors and bad and the bad one's start the work get paid then don't do the rest of the job and the good one's you do not need to worry about feedback - means nothing on odesk as someone that knows odesk well they buy and swap feedback from each other and only hire people that have 1 or 2 sentences or a decent feedback star rating and comment - 5 stars and no comment is very fishy it really is not hard to implement these things to a platform and stop all the support tickets they must get etc over these types of issues odesk gets a grip or does not exist as I know loads of SME and PLC UK clients that have walked away from odesk due to these problems and now use other platforms etc and are more than happy with it as there money is safe
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
22 of 25
You actually can buy a pint of milk and say you'll pay it later. It is called credit, and you get it by having a good reputation.
technolover
Conie R Member Since: Oct 23, 2013
23 of 25
Im a contractor but i am shy to ask upfront fee's,Lol
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
24 of 25

Eh? The client paid you for a consultation, which you performed. Why did you return the money? You were paid for the job you did. You don't have to do additional work for the client if you don't want to.

This is in reply to Amy J. Koch's post. The posts are all out of order for me.

mayartillustrate
Amy Koch J Member Since: Dec 5, 2015
25 of 25

The client said he wanted to hire me for the whole job having an interview with me is free, and I will write to you why.

The whole job was for 1200 dollars, and during the interview he said he would make milestones for the job after we hung up. The 25 dollars he added for a conversation was something I do not take, and he was supposed to erase, and use the 25 dollars toward the first milestone payment.

It is very important the milestones are clear when doing a months worth of work for 1200 dollars for a client. It has to be in writing so that there are no problems and a schedule made that both parties have to agree on before starting the work. Otherwise a client can just add more work and tell me I said I would do it.

For example: When we as graphic designers do a book page layout and design , which was 1 milestone of this job, we have to ask and rely on the author to give us the trim size because making a layout is a weeks worth of work or more,  and to redo the whole layout in a new trim size would be to start the job all over again. If the author does not do his research the way we kindly requested then later when the authors selling price of the book  can be very high for buyers, because of the trim size and the way they think the book lshould be ayed out. The author will come back and expect us to layout the book a 2nd time for free when that is 40 plus hours of work or more to layout a book, depending on the page count.

One time I had an author who hired a translator to translate their book and or edit their book and the book was translated incorrectly and edited incorrectly. So after laying out the book the author was upset when I had to charge them more money to relayout their book.

The situations are endless and this author wrote a bad star rating in private only after I did zero work for him, had a kindly interview, and treated him like gold, because we ever so kindly could not agree on the terms. I always agree with everyone on their terms and visa versa. If I were to take the 25 dollars he could have written a public review based on the milestone for our conversation. Having a bad review when you do not work for someone and they are frustrated for some reason, for 25 dollars is not professional, and a poor choice for any freelancer.

Thank you,

Amy.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS