Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork Hourly Contract Scam

Ace Contributor
Ilham B Member Since: Jul 26, 2016
1 of 16

Hello

I want to ask everyone here, have anyone here (other clients) have ever been deceived by any freelancer with hourly over charging activity?. Even upwork's them self admitted that they found our hired freelancer's used a malicious software to deliberately over charging ?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I felt this more than once, however; upwork always says that they can't refund for bad quality or finished work (but overcharged).  Since I already screenshot their confession.  This is so bad, so i'm going to try to contact a californian lawyer and considering to take a legal action because I asume we've lost much more money than the previous issue since we've spent more than $30K or more in this platform over the past few years. Unless they did something; such as trace back the hourly charged on our account; recheck all the hourly charged for malicious softwares activities; proof that not a singgle one of them was cheated; if they found cheated ones; they should send a paypal payment's request for refund to the given freelancers.

Sincerely

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
2 of 16

Ilham,

You should probably post that over on the Clients message board:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/bd-p/clients

Ace Contributor
3 of 16

Hi,

Thanks, you can check here now : https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/Upwork-Hourly-Contract-Scam/m-p/572976#M41426

There's something wrong with upwork's UIUX... I don't see how and why was it wrong posting it here...

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 16

Hi Ilham, 

I would like to note that your original post was already moved by our moderator to the Client board, and your new post had to be removed as posting the same on different boards is considered spamming as per our Community Guidelines

I'm sorry to learn you had an unfortunate experience with a freelancer. I would highly recommend that you continue communicating on your ticket so that the team can assist you further, and refrain from sharing more information about the issue to avoid misrepresenting the situation. Please know that our team is unable to comment specifically about the issue for privacy reasons. 

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 16

lol I love when I get to see the screenshot before it gets deleted. 

He hired a $9/hour data entry "expert" to do mobile development. lol He's got lots of disputes going too. Avoid avoid avoid.

eta: oooh and now I see why the one freelancer in that agency is 93% but no TR badge. Used an auto-clicker! 44 hours worth too. lol These **Edited for Community Guidelines** developers get their money some way when they undercut. Note to self: you get one chance to get caught with an auto-clicker. Worst that happens is you lose TR.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 16

Jennifer M wrote:

He hired a $9/hour data entry "expert" to do mobile development. lol He's got lots of disputes going too. Avoid avoid avoid.

eta: oooh and now I see why the one freelancer in that agency is 93% but no TR badge. Used an auto-clicker! 44 hours worth too. lol These poop tier developers get their money some way when they undercut. Note to self: you get one chance to get caught with an auto-clicker. Worst that happens is you lose TR.

Can't find the agency, but he did hire a very good web developer for $3.50 an hour it appears. And apparently it's ok for a client to write it's sound very [8 letter word for bovine stool] to a mediator.

7 of 16

John K wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

eta: oooh and now I see why the one freelancer in that agency is 93% but no TR badge. Used an auto-clicker! 44 hours worth too. lol These poop tier developers get their money some way when they undercut. Note to self: you get one chance to get caught with an auto-clicker. Worst that happens is you lose TR.

Can't find the agency, but he did hire a very good web developer for $3.50 an hour it appears. And apparently it's ok for a client to write it's sound very [8 letter word for bovine stool] to a mediator.

"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Boothe Luce

is that quote basically goes against the meaning of karma ?

But anyway, I don't see the relvance of that quote toward my case.

"but he did hire a very good web developer for $3.50 an hour it appears. "

They do have the skills although not as good as the $99/an hour ones of course. You have to work very hard in finding $3/hour good freelancers in terms of using upwork's search engine Smiley Tongue.

If you or anyone else wants to hire them, they're here :**Edited for community guidelines**

Since trust goes to number one in Business, so you already knows they've used malcious software to cheat the hourly tracking device.

THEREFORE; DO NOT BLAME ME IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG WITH YOUR BUSINESS.  I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE.

I'm refering them so that some one will really hires them soon, because they have refundable amount in their balance for us which can only be cut until they've worked some more in upwork.

Community Guru
8 of 16

Ilham B wrote:

I'm refering them so that some one will really hires them soon, because they have refundable amount in their balance for us which can only be cut until they've worked some more in upwork.

This doesn't make any sense. Upwork found that he was using an auto-clicker, so you get your money back. They don't wait until the freelancer has a balance.

Ace Contributor
9 of 16

Jennifer M wrote:

Ilham B wrote:

This doesn't make any sense. Upwork found that he was using an auto-clicker, so you get your money back. They don't wait until the freelancer has a balance.

yes exactly that's what I've expected before !... It does not makes sense only if your a client...

But Upwork does not want's to be held responsible if the freelancer have already retrieved their money after upwork had sent them, thus Upwork will not pays back their client at the behalf of their freelancer : 

**Edited for community guidelines**

I did actually felt cheated this way also !.

Community Guru
10 of 16

Ilham B wrote:

yes exactly that's what I've expected before !... It does not makes sense only if your a client...

But Upwork does not want's to be held responsible if the freelancer have already retrieved their money after upwork had sent them, thus Upwork will not pays back their client at the behalf of their freelancer : 

**Edited for community guidelines**

I did actually felt cheated this way also !.

This email shows something entirely different. Upwork is saying if the freelancer voluntarily wants to give you a refund, he has to fund his account and then give you money. Has nothing to do with Upwork not giving you money because they are waiting for funds in the account. lol

That dude got 299 hours out of you, and you want money for past weeks. They told you that the freelancer has to voluntarily give you back money. You're gonna have to move on from it, because unless you are clueless, you know that he's never giving you back your money.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS