🐈
» Forums » Clients » Upwork Scam Scandal (beware !)
Page options
7bd0d548
Community Member

Upwork Scam Scandal (beware !)

Hey everyone

I think upwork trying to scam and cheat their client. Look at this screenshot. **edited for Community Guidelines**

If we increase the hour limit, it take effect immediately

If we decrease  the hour limit, it takes one week

Look like upwork trying to rob you off by taking an advantage if you missed click on this.

11 REPLIES 11
yitwail
Community Member

You’re entitled to your opinion but I don’t agree that it’s a scam or a scandal. It makes sense for limit decreases to take place the week after because the freelancer may already have worked the hours allowed for that week or the lower limit could be less than the hours already recorded that week. If you must reduce the hours immediately, then tell the freelancer how much more he or she can work that week, then dispute any hours that exceed the lower limit.

Besides, if Upwork really wanted to scam clients, they wouldn’t display when the rate will decrease but instead put the date in the Terms of Service all users agree to.

@John K wrote:
 because the freelancer may already have worked the hours allowed for that week or the lower limit could be less than the hours already recorded that week.

No mate, I just missed clicked, nor the freelancer had not even started working at all for the given week. It's simply they want to grab the opportunity of a misse dclicked.

The system should be if they've worked, than we can't reduce. Then that'll looks more legitimate.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ilham, 

Please know that this is working as designed. If you increase a freelancer’s weekly limit, the new limit takes effect immediately and hours already in your freelancer’s Work Diary will count against that limit for the current week. If you decrease a weekly limit, it won't take effect until the next work week (Monday at 00:00 UTC).

~ Avery
Upwork
7bd0d548
Community Member

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Ilham, 

Please know that this is working as designed. If you increase a freelancer’s weekly limit, the new limit takes effect immediately and hours already in your freelancer’s Work Diary will count against that limit for the current week. If you decrease a weekly limit, it won't take effect until the next work week (Monday at 00:00 UTC).

Yes I know its the system designed. Unfortunately, the designed is obviously looks like want's to take an advantage if a client missed clicked or missed type.

It's obviously unfair for a client for such case happens to them.

Wouldn't it be seems more fair if the design was made this way :

1. In all case that freelancers has not worked at all for the given week, then reducing/increasing will takes effects immediately

2. In a case if a freelancer had worked for the given week, then reducing hourly limit only possible to the amount that the freelancers had worked for the given week or will take on next week. 

Unfortunately, my case was the first one. So it felt unfair for me. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Ilham B wrote:

Hey everyone

I think upwork trying to scam and cheat their client. Look at this screenshot. **edited for Community Guidelines**

If we increase the hour limit, it take effect immediately

If we decrease  the hour limit, it takes one week

Look like upwork trying to rob you off by taking an advantage if you missed click on this.

I think you are using some big words here, accusing upwork of a systemic scam. What I suggest you do is monitor your freelancers work diary and work submissions more closely, so that you feel more confident that nobody is out to get you.  

@Martina P wrote:

What I suggest you do is monitor your freelancers work diary and work submissions more closely, so that you feel more confident that nobody is out to get you.  

That's got nothing to do with missed clicking... or missed typing...

ladyelexia
Community Member

John explained the reasoning well, also, you have the option to "Pause" any hourly contract instantly. This will allow you to stop all work until the next week comes along with the updated hours. 

@Heather H wrote:

John explained the reasoning well, also, you have the option to "Pause" any hourly contract instantly. This will allow you to stop all work until the next week comes along with the updated hours. 

lol, we all here knows that every job in this world has deadlines !.

@Heather H wrote:

you forgot few thing, we don't have all day

1. if freelancer was set to have 10 hours, but budget was supposed to be 5 hours. then;

2. they can work any time between 7 days and between 40 hours in a week time.

3. they can pause/continue their tracker any time

4. On average, clients probably hire few if not, dozens of freelancers, not 1 freelancers like I do.

5. Impossible to pause during 1 hours of worked, the works is surely not even half done. 

So how would we know when they are all exactly spend their 5-10 hours between those times ?.

If you can monitor them (dozens of freelancers) for full 7x24 (168) hours then its reasonable. As far as my concern, no human being can stay awaken for 168 hours.

Of corse in the end they'll get away with 10, it's an obvious scam

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ilham, 

If you have an hourly contract with your freelancer, you have a whole week to review your freelancer's Work Diary. You may read up more about it here.

You may also want to read this help article on the differences of an hourly contract vs. a fixed-price contract as it looks like you will be better off doing fixed-price contracts on Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Just to be clear:

They are freelancers.

Not Tamagotchi.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths