🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Upwork Stole Money from my Freelancer???
Page options
42a76376
Community Member

Upwork Stole Money from my Freelancer???

Dear Upwork,

My company posted a pretty big job.  $2000+.
We chose a freelancer to do the work.  She completed the contract, and the money was released to her on Nov 18.
Everything was good.

She just contaced us telling us that Upwork has deleted her account and taken her money.  We were not refunded this money.  She worked very hard for this job, and our company does not have money to pay her again from our pockets. 

We would like to know what has happened.  Why was her account deleted?  What happened to the money we paid her?

Thank you for your time.  We look forward to your quick response.

Please contact me if you require additional details.

4 REPLIES 4
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lindsay, 

I would like to look into this for you, and I'm sorry to learn about your freelancer's account. Please send me the Contract ID for this contract so that I can look into this further. 

I would like to note that a freelancer's account may be temporary or put on hold if they violate the Upwork User Agreement. Here is a list of some actions that may put their account on hold. 

~ Avery
Upwork
42a76376
Community Member

Thank you very much for the quick reply!  
I'm not sure if this is the contract id? **edited for Community Guidelines**
(If it isn't, please let me know where I should look!)

This is the link to the job:
**edited for Community Guidelines**

Thank you for the list of reasons, I will look at it and forward to my freelancer!
Edit: (As far as I know), she hasn't violated any of those clauses.  She was professional, definitely didn't harrass us, and we paid through upwork.  I don't think she was given any notice of her account going on hold either.

Thank you for looking into this Avery!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lindsay, 

I looked into this further, and can see that the contract was through your team. I'll check this with the team, and if there's a need to reach out to the company owner, they will do so through an email. 

I would just like to note that any transactions on your account (whether a debit, or a credit) can be accessed by hovering your mouse pointer on the Reports tab, and clicking on the Transactions link. If you are unable to view this page, your company owner will need to give you access through the Members & Permissions page. You may read more about it here.

~ Avery
Upwork
42a76376
Community Member

Hi Avery, 
Thanks for looking at the contract.

Unfortunately, this doesn't help answer the question of:

Why was our contractor/freelancer's account deleted?

We are concerned for her because this payment was undoubtely very important.  

We were also hoping to use her again if another ios project came up.  This will not be possible if her account is deleted/deactivated.

If nothing else, if we know why her account was deleted we will be able to warn other contractors/freelancers that we work with, so they can avoid the same the fate.

It seems very unethical to prevent someone from claiming their hard-earned money without a reason. :S

Latest Articles
Learning Paths