cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork W9

Highlighted
Amanda H Member Since: Apr 5, 2017
1 of 36

My purchasing department needs a W-9 from Upwork to set up a P.O., but I can't find anything about it on the website. Can you please tell me where I can get one a.s.a.p.?

Thanks!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 36

Hi Amanda,

Please note that Upwork is an online marketplace, through which users can connect to enter directly into service relationships. Through the marketplace, clients directly engage and pay freelancers to perform services. Upwork acts as an escrow agent and passes funds from the client to the freelancer. That's why we don't believe a W-9 is necessary.

Upwork provides 1099-Ks if appropriate to freelancers if certain conditions are met. More information is available here.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Amanda H Member Since: Apr 5, 2017
3 of 36

Upwork has an entire section on P.O.s:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068198-Add-PO-Numbers-to-Invoices

If I don't have an Upwork W9, I can't create a P.O. in my organization's system. If I can't create a P.O., I will no longer be able to spend the thousands of dollars on projects that I have been spending. 

So, what's the solution? Just to tell companies and nonprofits that you can't give us the documentation we need to continue working with UpWork?

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 36

Amanda, the solution certainly isn't for Upwork to create something that doesn't comply with tax law because a company has decided it wants to have an inappropriate document on file. 

5 of 36

Amanda,

We'll have somebody contact you directly and assist you further with your concern.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
FAOLAN J Member Since: Apr 10, 2017
6 of 36

I have the same issue. Could sombody from UpWork please contact me directly as soon as possible. Thanks 

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
7 of 36

Hi Faolan,

Do you also require a purchase order number on your invoices?

Untitled
Jessica B Member Since: May 10, 2017
8 of 36

Hi! 

I am having the same issue with my finance department. They are demanding a w9 from Upwork.

Can someone assist?

Thank you, 

Jessica 

9 of 36

Hi Jessica,

Somebody will reach out to you directly and assist you with your concern.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Randy H Member Since: Aug 14, 2017
10 of 36

I am in the same situation. I need a W9 from Upwork to pay my Freelancer. Great service, you do need a way to handle oragnizations that require W9s. My company will not put a credit card on file for payment. 

Thanks,

Randy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS