🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Upwork W9
Page options
12bbb0f2
Community Member

Upwork W9

My purchasing department needs a W-9 from Upwork to set up a P.O., but I can't find anything about it on the website. Can you please tell me where I can get one a.s.a.p.?

Thanks!

39 REPLIES 39
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Amanda,

Please note that Upwork is an online marketplace, through which users can connect to enter directly into service relationships. Through the marketplace, clients directly engage and pay freelancers to perform services. Upwork acts as an escrow agent and passes funds from the client to the freelancer. That's why we don't believe a W-9 is necessary.

Upwork provides 1099-Ks if appropriate to freelancers if certain conditions are met. More information is available here.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Upwork has an entire section on P.O.s:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068198-Add-PO-Numbers-to-Invoices

If I don't have an Upwork W9, I can't create a P.O. in my organization's system. If I can't create a P.O., I will no longer be able to spend the thousands of dollars on projects that I have been spending. 

So, what's the solution? Just to tell companies and nonprofits that you can't give us the documentation we need to continue working with UpWork?

Amanda, the solution certainly isn't for Upwork to create something that doesn't comply with tax law because a company has decided it wants to have an inappropriate document on file. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Amanda,

We'll have somebody contact you directly and assist you further with your concern.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I have the same issue. Could sombody from UpWork please contact me directly as soon as possible. Thanks 

Hi Faolan,

Do you also require a purchase order number on your invoices?

Untitled

Hi! 

I am having the same issue with my finance department. They are demanding a w9 from Upwork.

Can someone assist?

Thank you, 

Jessica 

Hi Jessica,

Somebody will reach out to you directly and assist you with your concern.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I am in the same situation. I need a W9 from Upwork to pay my Freelancer. Great service, you do need a way to handle oragnizations that require W9s. My company will not put a credit card on file for payment. 

Thanks,

Randy

re: "I am in the same situation. I need a W9 from Upwork to pay my Freelancer. Great service, you do need a way to handle oragnizations that require W9s. My company will not put a credit card on file for payment."

That is not how this works.

Clients do not use a W9 in order to pay for freelancers.

Your company does NOT need to put a credit card on file for payment.

Companies may pay using PayPal.

Companies who qualify may pay using direct ACH bank payments.

Hi Randy,

Somebody will follow up with you directly about your concern.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

I am having the same issue with my finance department. They are demanding a w9 from Upwork.

As we have to comply with the IRS regulations still this month, could you please contact me as soon as possible?

Thank you

Hi Ligia,

One of our team members will follow up with your directly, thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork

It would be helpful if Upwork provided a general solution to this issue rather than taking it to private discussions each time it arises. Since the general requirement is for U.S. companies to have a W9 on file and issue a 1099 for any freelancer they pay more than $600 in a year,there is understandable confusion.

Clearly, a 1099 from Upwork isn't the answer, since it isn't actually Upwork being paid. But, the clients don't get W9s from freelancers, either, and if they issue 1099s, that could result in duplicate reporting for freelancers who earn enough and post enough transactions to receive a W9 from Upwork.

It would be great is Upwork provided a clear explanation of the process, what is required from whom, and why.

Hi Tiffany,

The detailed information about which forms are issued and by whom is available in these two help articles:

Am I responsible for filing tax forms for my freelancer? (for clients)

Report Income from Upwork (for freelancers)

We also host webinars each year during the tax season to help users figure out best ways to report their Upwork income and expenses. Stay tuned for more information about this year's webinar.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you, Valeria!

Hi Valeria,

I am in a similar situation and hoping to speak with someone directly at Upwork regarding paperwork for finance department.

Thank you.

Hi Bryeanna,

We'd be happy to help but we aren't seeing any contracts associated with the account you are posting from here in the Community. Is this with regard to a different account?

~Nina

Hi Nina,

We have not established a contract just yet, but are pursuing opportunity to work with freelancers through Upwork. First, we need to determine if we will be able to get Upwork setup in our financial system for payment via PO/invoice for which we will need the W9.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit, but let me know any questions.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bryeanna, 

This can be provided upon request. Would like a member of the Customer Support Team to reach out to you?

~ Avery
Upwork
923a639e
Community Member

Hi Avery,

Yes, please - that would be great if a Customer Support team member could reach out directly.

Thank you!

Hi Bryeanna,

One of our team members will reach out to you shortly and assist you further. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you! Additionally, do you provide ACH details for us to make payment?

Hi Bryeanna,

Are you referring to using a bank account as a payment method on your client account? It is available to some eligible accounts and if your account is eligible, you'll see the option under your Settings> Billing Methods> Add a Billing Method. Check out this help article for more information.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi,

we are also attempting to set up a payment structure for Upwork and our AP department requires a W9.

would someone also reach out to me concerning appropriate documentation.

thank you,

Vicki **Edited for community guidelines**

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Vicki,

We'll have one of our team members reach out to you directly and provide requested documents, thank you for reaching out to us!

~ Bojan
Upwork
a37050a9
Community Member

Thank you.

Hey, we need help in getting the W9 form, so please have someone contact us soon.

Hi Jordan,

We'll have a member of the team get in touch with you to assist with this request.

~Nina

I have the same issue, can someone from customer support contact me to discuss how to meet this requirement from my organisations finance team

Hi Phil,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket as well and will assist you further with your W9. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
594f1dbd
Community Member

I'm having the same issue, and I have urgent needs to get a project rolling by tomorrow.  Could someone please contact me directly about this, and what we can do?  Thank you!

patrick

Hello Patrick,

Please note that Upwork is an online marketplace, through which users can connect to enter directly into service relationships. Through the marketplace, clients directly engage and pay freelancers to perform services. Upwork acts as an escrow agent and passes funds from the client to the freelancer. That's why we don't believe a W-9 is necessary. Upwork provides 1099-Ks if appropriate to freelancers if certain conditions are met. More information is available here.

I will have a member of the Customer Support team reach out to you to assist you with your request. Thank you.

Untitled

Hi Team -

I'm also looking to get hold of a W9. Can someone please reach out to me.

thanks

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

Yes our team will reach out to you directly via ticket and assist you further, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I am having the same issue. Could someone from the team please contact me?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Avery, 

The Customer Support Team will reach out to you through an email to assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork
Community Member

Hi Valeria, I am having the same issue with my accounting department at my new company.  I used to just pass as an expesne at my old company on my CC.  Now I have put the comany CC.  They are demanding a W9 from Upwork. Could you please contact me as soon as possible?

Hi Juan,

One of our agents will be reaching out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your concern.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths