cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork W9

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 36

re: "I am in the same situation. I need a W9 from Upwork to pay my Freelancer. Great service, you do need a way to handle oragnizations that require W9s. My company will not put a credit card on file for payment."

That is not how this works.

Clients do not use a W9 in order to pay for freelancers.

Your company does NOT need to put a credit card on file for payment.

Companies may pay using PayPal.

Companies who qualify may pay using direct ACH bank payments.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 36

Hi Randy,

Somebody will follow up with you directly about your concern.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ligia L Member Since: Jan 26, 2018
13 of 36

Hi Valeria,

I am having the same issue with my finance department. They are demanding a w9 from Upwork.

As we have to comply with the IRS regulations still this month, could you please contact me as soon as possible?

Thank you

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
14 of 36

Hi Ligia,

One of our team members will follow up with your directly, thank you!

Untitled
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
15 of 36

It would be helpful if Upwork provided a general solution to this issue rather than taking it to private discussions each time it arises. Since the general requirement is for U.S. companies to have a W9 on file and issue a 1099 for any freelancer they pay more than $600 in a year,there is understandable confusion.

Clearly, a 1099 from Upwork isn't the answer, since it isn't actually Upwork being paid. But, the clients don't get W9s from freelancers, either, and if they issue 1099s, that could result in duplicate reporting for freelancers who earn enough and post enough transactions to receive a W9 from Upwork.

It would be great is Upwork provided a clear explanation of the process, what is required from whom, and why.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
16 of 36

Hi Tiffany,

The detailed information about which forms are issued and by whom is available in these two help articles:

Am I responsible for filing tax forms for my freelancer? (for clients)

Report Income from Upwork (for freelancers)

We also host webinars each year during the tax season to help users figure out best ways to report their Upwork income and expenses. Stay tuned for more information about this year's webinar.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
17 of 36

Thank you, Valeria!

Bryeanna M Member Since: May 29, 2018
18 of 36

Hi Valeria,

I am in a similar situation and hoping to speak with someone directly at Upwork regarding paperwork for finance department.

Thank you.

Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
19 of 36

Hi Bryeanna,

We'd be happy to help but we aren't seeing any contracts associated with the account you are posting from here in the Community. Is this with regard to a different account?

~Nina
Untitled
Bryeanna M Member Since: May 29, 2018
20 of 36

Hi Nina,

We have not established a contract just yet, but are pursuing opportunity to work with freelancers through Upwork. First, we need to determine if we will be able to get Upwork setup in our financial system for payment via PO/invoice for which we will need the W9.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit, but let me know any questions.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS