cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork business model change?

Vladimir C Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
1 of 7

I recently posted a job very similar to what I posted a year ago.

The recent job posting only attracted two freelancers while the year's ago one attracted a couple of douzens.

I also notice a new checkbox "Tell me how I can reach more freelancers and hire in less time" in the job posting which stands for a new paid feature.

I looks like upwork has intentionally made its main functionality less efficient and wants to charge for reverting it.

We all have to earn money somehow, of course, but this approach isn't good for upwork in my view.

This time I, actually, was not able to hire a suitable freelancer.

That's not good for me, but that's also not good for Upwork, I suppose.

Upwork is not a great time tracker and not a good messenger.

Upwork is good just because you can always find a good freelancer.

If that's not true anymore, than I wonder why I should remain a loyal customer.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 7

If your job did not attract enough applicants it will have been not attractive enough for the caliber of freelancers you are looking for.

this is generally due to one of two main (and several secondary) reasons...

1) Budget too low

2) Job description inadequate or offputting

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
3 of 7

I'm sorry that you feel this way, Vladimir. 

While we do not have insight as to why your previous job post had more freelancers bidding for the post versus your most recent job post, despite both job posts being identical, I would like to clarify that the testing of this new feature allows clients like yourself to to boost the visibility of your job posts. However, the decision is entirely up to you of whether you'd want to spend on your job post or not.

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 7

Vladimir, unless a lot of jobs similar to yours took advantage of the new feature, it doesn't account for the difference in response rate from a year ago. 

5 of 7

Thanks for info. I was not sure if the algorithm changed

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
6 of 7

Possibly something is broken (again). Someone posted just a few days ago saying a posting had received no bids, which was very strange--even the really poor postings usually get some response. Then, another client posted that he'd sent out 15 invitations and his listing showed them as having been invited, but further investigation revealed that some kind of glitch had occurred and only 2 of the invitations had been sent. 

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 7

Tiffany, the explanation given for the 13 undelivered invitations was that it was caused by site outages. So by analogy, I suppose if Vladimir (the OP) posted his job just before a prolonged outage, it could have cut down on the number of responses.