cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork ended contract and approved final milestone on my behalf--Project was not completed

Ryan M Member Since: Mar 27, 2017
1 of 3

Hi there, 

I am working with a contractor for a logo redesign project. Well, I was, until Upwork approved a milestone on my behalf without my consent. The mileston was the total cost of the project, which I released to escrow at the start of the project so the contractor had the security of knowing I had full intention to pay her our agreed fixed price.

The contractor was supposed to provide me with some revisions and she never did. She said she would provide them and never responded when I followed up asking her about them. I am not sure how to reopen the contract or reach out to the contractor and ask for the revisions at this point. The project is not done, and I am not satisfied with the work she has provided me thus far. 

How do I solicit a refund from Upwork or have them reopen the contract? I am willing to give the contractor the chance to prove herself, but I dont know how to proceed at this point. 

Any advice greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 
Ryan 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 3

@Ryan M wrote:

> Upwork approved a milestone on my behalf without my consent.

Nope Ryan. Upwork approves nothing, especially not milestones and not on the behalf of clients.

> The mileston was the total cost of the project, which I released to escrow at the start of the project so the contractor had the security of knowing I had full intention to pay her our agreed fixed price.

OK, this is exactly how it is supposed to work.

Please read this: Pay for Fixed-Price Contracts

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
3 of 3

It sounds like the freelancer submitted the work using the "Submit work and request payment" button, which starts a 14-day countdown, and that when you realised it needed revisions you didn't click the "request changes" button (which would have stopped the countdown) and instead just messaged the freelancer. So, because Upwork didn't "know" that you needed changes, after 14 days they released the payment. Which is how the escrow system is designed to work.

Probably all you can do at this point is send a message to the freelancer and request them to contact you about revisions. If they're a good freelancer they might reply to you. But understand there's not a huge incentive for them to respond because they've already been paid.

Is the contract still open? If they don't respond, you could close the contract and leave them appropriate feedback.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS