cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upwork is a major disapointment and downgrade

Ewart M Member Since: Sep 20, 2015
1 of 9

I'm a client of elance for 8+ years.  Just wanted to say how very disapointed I am @ the release of Upwork with so many obvious and foreseable issues.  I love the new pretty colours but it's lacking key functionality and I've run across a few bugs too.  The last straw is I see my list of numerous applicants and no way to even sort them by price or ranking or whatever.  I mean, seriously the new usability is a major step backwards.

One loyal but pissed off customer.

regards

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
2 of 9

Hi Ewart, 

Welcome to the community. Upwork people were working on fixing bugs and adding new features recently. However, did you know you are still able to post jobs on Elance? 

Ace Contributor
Tina D Member Since: Jul 25, 2015
3 of 9

Sadly, you keep saying Elance is going away this month.  I sure hope not as Upwork is definitely a major downgrade and we are not letting go of Elance until we absolutely have to.

It is a downgrade from both the employer and freelancer side.  Way less options for ease of use.  

Tina 

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
4 of 9

It would help clients a lot if you would just fix the search function for clients which has been useless for months now.

Could a moderator please comment on whether or not they are even working on fixit this function. 

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
5 of 9

@Tina D wrote:

Sadly, you keep saying Elance is going away this month.  I sure hope not as Upwork is definitely a major downgrade and we are not letting go of Elance until we absolutely have to.

It is a downgrade from both the employer and freelancer side.  Way less options for ease of use.  

Tina 

Well Tina, Elance was losing money so why would the company go backwards? The longer you stay on Elance the more it's costing to keep both sites going. You really want the company to lose more money? Did it every occur to you that all those bells and whistles you had at Elance came with a price? They were not free. You better seriously hope that Elance closes as soon as possible so that Upwork gets into a money making proposition of there will soon be no Upwork and then where will you go?

Ilan B Member Since: Sep 22, 2015
6 of 9

Wow I thought I was just going crazy. Yes, this site has major shortcomings since the switch. I cant even look at my messages half the time, sorting is awful, the app (ugh), and worst of all the customer service folks I've spoken to are either dismissive or do not have a solid understanding of English, or both. Super frustrating lately.

Ewart M Member Since: Sep 20, 2015
7 of 9

@Jean you say that elance was loosing money, and it adds to my disapointment that a company that is earning tens of millions of dollars in revenue can't make a profit.  But given the utter shambles of how the transition has been managed I guess it is just a disapointment and not a surprise.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 9

Ilan:

Sorry to hear you're disappointed. There are a lot of great things about Upwork (lots of talented freelancers are here), but there are also some bad things (including lots of talentless freelancers).

re: "I cant even look at my messages half the time"

Yeah, sorry about that. We're all hoping the new messaging system will become more reliable. A few months back Upwork switched from a simple system which ALWAYS WORKED to a more modern, more advanced system which DOES NOT always work. In theory, if the new system was reliable, it would be better.

re: "sorting is awful"

Yeah, we hear there were a lot of great sorting options at Elance. Maybe some of that will be implemented here. There are very few sorting options anywhere in the Upwork interface.

re: "worst of all the customer service folks I've spoken to are either dismissive or do not have a solid understanding of English, or both."

On Customer Service, there is good news and bad news.

The good news is that Customer Service provided to clients is a lot better than Customer Service provided to contractors. The bad news is, it's still not that great, although it is slowly getting better. Generally speaking, Upwork customer service workers get paid minimum rates (such as $3.00/hour) and have minimal qualifications. Yes, it is true that a large proportion of them have limited experience using the English language. But they mean well.

So, the other good news is that if you have questions, the Community Forum is very active and you can often get questions answered from experienced Upwork clients and contractors within minutes by posting here.

We don't have authority to actually do anything, but if you just want to ask about something, coming here is usually faster and more informative than going to Customer Service.

Nahaku M Member Since: Sep 22, 2015
9 of 9

After reading these comments, I believe I may wait a bit longer to use this service. I want to save time by outsourcing, not spend time trying to figure out a buggy system. I heard so many good things about Elance, so this is dissappointing to me.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS