cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upwork is killing my PC

Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
11 of 27

Wassim:  Thanks for the post.  I learned some basic differences in server and client side scripting.  Now I understand why many website builders do not allow server side scripting. 

I geneally don't have problem with Upwork.  The problem becomes severe when I unable desktop notification and have time tracker installed.  I delete them both and if my next gig requires I upload it again.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
12 of 27

@Wassim T wrote:

John: some people cannot afford buying a Mac 😀 Glad you're enjoying the experience brother.

Wassim, I didn't make myself too clear when I posted. While I dearly love my current MacBook Pro, it's the 16GB ram I mainly wanted to call attention to. My previous MBP had 8GB and it was paging a *lot*. Now that there's 2x ram, it does virtuallly no page swapping no matter how many browser tabs there are. MacOS also does memory compression, which helps somewhat, but if you're having performance issues, I strongly recommend upgrading to 18GB regardless of OS, if the ram is upgradeable, obviously. They're NOT upgradeable in MacBooks, so I upgraded by buying a new computer and trading in my old one.

13 of 27

Now is NOV2018, tihs issue seems to still persist.

My lenovoW510 with 8GB RAM and barely loaded to 40% of max RAM capacity got sluggish like hell when I was dealing with a few opened tabs of Upwork.

When I closed all those Upwork tabs, all was flying again !!!!!!!!

So now I will only log in Upwork briefly to view offers and reply, but not hang around.

WHAT A PARADOX. A SITE HOSTING ONE OF THE LARGEST FREELANCE COMMUNITIES (including in IT) CANT SEEM TO FIX AN ISSUE WHICH I HAVE ALMOST NEVER ENCOUNTERED IN THE LAST 20 YEARS !!!

How bad are your web devs really ?!

I am pissed!

Trey C Member Since: Jan 31, 2016
14 of 27

I am having a similar issue using the video call and screen sharing.  This is a brand new i7 w/ 16 G's of ram and upwork is using 50% of the resources.  That seems high. 

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
15 of 27

Hi Trey, 

A member of the Customer Support Team will reach out to you to assist you with your issue. 

-Avery
Untitled
David C Member Since: Nov 24, 2018
16 of 27

I am having the same issue.  I can check a few different jobs, but eventually it freezes my computer.  This occurs on FireFox, Chrome, and MS Edge.  I am a freelancer and it is making it incredibly difficult to even look at a posting, much less submit a proposal.  Please let me know what I can do on my end to make the site usable. 

17 of 27

Hi David, 

Before I proceed, I wanted to check if the Upwork Desktop App was running when you search for jobs? On your next reply, please also send your computer's OS, plus your browser's OS version so that I can include it in my report. 

-Avery
Untitled
Spencer W Member Since: Nov 12, 2018
18 of 27

I find that upwork app and web both are extreme resource hogs. My MacBook pro runs much hotter and the fan is on constantly. So I sign in and out as needed. Very Very inconvienient!

Paul B Member Since: May 9, 2017
19 of 27

Same problem here upwork is becoming a CPU hog within Chrome

20 of 27

Hi Paul, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience, and I would like to be able to assist you. Was the Upwork Desktop App running in the background when this happened? On your next reply, please also send your computer's OS, plus your browser's OS version so that I can include it in my report. 

-Avery
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS