🐈
» Forums » Clients » Upwork loses nearly 2 years of past chat mess...
Page options
businessdirect
Community Member

Upwork loses nearly 2 years of past chat messages?

How many long time users of Upwork have recently lost chat messages for the time period between September 2015 and May 2017?

Several weeks ago I noticed a huge chunk of chat messages with a long time freelancer went missing.  When I contacted Upwork tech support about this, they had no clue what I was talking about.  After many emails back and forth, they were able to restore only 5 messages out of more than 200 messages that existed in this time period.  They refused to acknowledge anything wrong, however, despite the fact that I had 30 milestones in this time period, which for each milestone, at least 2 messages automatically get added to the client/freelancer chat thread.  When I brought this fact to their attention (as they limply handed me 5 restored messages out of hundreds lost), I asked them if they were covering up a major system failure since it was clear that something was severely wrong on their end.  Only after weeks after being ignored, and only after showing them that 30 milestones generate more than just 5 chat messages, I get a reply that...

--- snip 8< ---

I am very sorry for the inconvenience. 

Unfortunately, the lost messages can no longer be retrieved as they were lost due to a bug. However, this has been resolved and you can rest assured that this will no longer happen in the future. 

--- snip 8< ---

What do we conclude from this?  How many long time Upworkers have experienced lost chat messages?

What do we think of an organization that doesn't perform back ups on their system?

3 REPLIES 3
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Sorry to hear you were affected by a technical issue, Phil. It looks like the issue has been discussed via a support ticket. We'll follow up with the team and update you if there is any additional information.

~ Valeria
Upwork
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Phil,

Could you please check if the message room you can access under this link while logged in contains messages you are referring to?

~ Valeria
Upwork

Yes, it is.  Can you explain why I have more than two message threads under this single contract? 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths