🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Upwork paid Freelancer for work not done
Page options
733e1033
Community Member

Upwork paid Freelancer for work not done & not authorized by me

This was my first experience with Upwork. The Freelancer I hired was unable to complete the project. We cordially and mutually agreed to terminate the contract. He did not expect payment. I never authorized Upwork to pay him. Now I see the Upwork charge on my credit card. How did he get paid and how can I dispute the payment?

5 REPLIES 5
matt_it_grow
Community Member

Hey Jan! Sorry to hear your first experience wasn't the absolute best, I hope you find the perfect Freelancers to fulfill your needs.

May I ask, was the job paid to an hourly, milestone, or by the project? Your options moving forward will revolve around the type of payment plan you had laid out.

He was supposed to create a book cover suitable for Kindle Direct
Publishing. They require a print-ready PDF. It turned out that he didn't
know how. I ended up making a cover myself with the KDP cover creator (I
originally had trouble with it, which was why I turned to Upwork). The
completed job was to pay him $50. He couldn't complete the job, and gave up.
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jan, 

I checked your account and can see that you were refunded for the milestone than you funded for this contract. You may refer to the transaction on your Transactions page (Reports > Transactions) where it is showing as Credit and Refund. Please know that this has been processed on January 28, and should have reflected on your bank statement. 

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

~ Avery
Upwork
733e1033
Community Member

I was charged $51.38 TWICE on January 15, 2019. Then I was refunded $51.38
ONCE on January 15. Therefore, I was charged $51.38 for work that was not
done. I can email you a copy of my credit card statement.
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jan, 

I checked your transactions and your billing method was only charged once for when you pre-funded the milestones. Just the same, I'll ask the Customer Support Team to reach out to you to assist you further with your transactions. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths