🐈
» Forums » Clients » Upwork wants me to create a new job as soon a...
Page options
devlabsus
Community Member

Upwork wants me to create a new job as soon as I close a job

Just a minor gripe - I know you're a business all about making money but ... every time I end a contract and close a job, Upwork immediately assumes I am going to open a new job and redirects me to the Create A Job page.

Really Upwork?

That's a little presumptuous don't you think? How about appreciating that I just ended a job and bring me somewhere useful, like a redesigned dashboard? I'd bet money 99.99% of clients who end a job are NOT ready to open another job just because they ended one. I create jobs as I need them. I don't wait until I end a job first. That makes no sense. Zero.

It's kinda like eating at a restaurant, paying for your meal and before you can even stand up from the table someone hands you a menu and assumes you're going to order more food. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PradeepH

Hello Eric,

I am sorry to hear how you feel about getting redirected to Create A Job page after closing a job. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I'll pass this along to the appropriate team for review.

Thank you.

Pradeep.

Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PradeepH

Hello Eric,

I am sorry to hear how you feel about getting redirected to Create A Job page after closing a job. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I'll pass this along to the appropriate team for review.

Thank you.

Pradeep.

Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

I agree with the original poster that this is a "minor gripe."

As a client who regularly hires freelancers on Upwork:

I don't love it either.

But I just ignore it.

You mentioned restaurants.

It is like going to eat a meal at a restaurant and then after the meal the waitress asks if you want dessert. Which is something I think happens MOST of the time when I go to a restaurant.

The truth of the matter is, I think most restaurants upsell.

And lots of other businesses upsell.

I'm all about upselling but this is different.

Upwork will upsell you during job creation when it asks if you want to increase visibility of your job post. I like that. A restaurant will upsell you and ask if you want an appetizer or a beverage. I like that too.

But what Upwork does after you close a job is presumptuous. If you want to include a little aside to tastefully mention it's easy to start another job on Upwork, that's great. But don't force me down that path. That's not helpful. And the assumption is all wrong anyway. No one says "oh they want me to open a new job let me pull one out of thin air." No. You come to Upwork because you ALREADY need to post a job. You go there when it's necessary not because you've been shoved onto the page. The restaurant knows I go there to eat. It knows I had a good experience and it thanked me for dining there. Shoving the menu in my face and forcing me to look at it on my way out is not good behavior.  That is all. It's just a gripe.

Hi Eric, I am a freelancer but just want to tell you that Upwork does the same thing to us. On fixed price contracts with milestones, shortly after a milestone is complete and paid for by the client, Upwork would send a message saying "propose another milestone to the client" or something along those lines, as if all it takes is to mechanically propose another milestone (whether needed or not and reglardless of what client and FL may have agreed on). I had to request that they remove me from that list so as not to receive those idiotic "reminders."

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Eric, they not only bug you directly, they also try to get your FL to bug you to open another contract. It's absurd.

devlabsus
Community Member

I'm revisiting this thread because I just closed another job and was reminded how annoying this feature is! Thanks for eating at my restaurant let me shove the menu in your face and sit you back down at a table as you're walking out the door because we know better than you that you really want to eat again. There are exactly ZERO scenarios where this makes sense. This is a sad, desperate money grab. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does. You're better than this Upwork. PLEASE make it stop. 

Eric:
I agree.

I hired a number of freelancers over the past few weeks.

And every time I closed a contract, I found this to be annoying.

I wouldn't mind it as much if it came across as a "helpful suggestion" or an "option."

But the wording and the user interface almost make it seem like you NEED to create a new contract or something is wrong.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths