🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Using a VPN while runnng Upwork Time Trac...
Page options
stephendupreez
Community Member

Using a VPN while runnng Upwork Time Tracker

Can freelancers make use of a VPN while tracking time using the Upwork desktop app?

A freelancer is worried that being connected to a VPN while tracking time for an hourly project will result in them being banned from the website.

Any feedback would be appreciated

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Stephen D wrote:

Can freelancers make use of a VPN while tracking time using the Upwork desktop app?

Yes.

Stephen D wrote:

A freelancer is worried that being connected to a VPN while tracking time for an hourly project will result in them being banned from the website.

Nonsense. There might be a different reason why the freelancer does not want to use the app. If I were the client, I would walk away from that freelancer.

Petra R wrote:

Stephen D wrote:

Yes.

Stephen D wrote:

Nonsense. There might be a different reason why the freelancer does not want to use the app. If I were the client, I would walk away from that freelancer.

There's a general misconception about the use of VPN and freelancers been banned because of it, I was one of those. After I checked/asked here in the community and received the appropriate answer I started to use VPN with one of my hourly clients (my client's login info), for almost 15 months now, no problem so far. The freelancer might just need to know that it's completely safe to use it.

lysis10
Community Member

Stephen D wrote:

Any feedback would be appreciated

lol RED FLAG, friend.

One way that a freelancer shows respect to the client is to use Upwork's desktop-based Time Tracker application.

Using VPN has nothing to do with the time-tracker application.

if there is a legitimate reason for the freelancer to to NOT use the time-tracker application (because she is painting a book cover using oil paints, or baking a cake for a recipe book, and the computer isn't used), that is fine.

But if a freelancer has no legitimate reason for avoiding the time-tracker, then I would wonder what is going on.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths