🐈
» Forums » Clients » Using different payment method after escrow i...
Page options
229efc50
Community Member

Using different payment method after escrow initiated

Hello, 

I am trying to close out a job. The money in escrow is associated to a card I do not want to use. I have added a new card to my account. How do I refund the escrow amount to my original card and use this new one instead?

Thanks,

Raymond

7 REPLIES 7
JoanneP

Hi Raymond, 

To get an escrow refund, you can end the contract. If your final payment is less than your escrow balance, there is an escrow refund request that will be sent to your freelancer. The freelancer will then have seven days to respond to the request. If the freelancer approves the refund or fail to respond within the seven days, the money in escrow will be returned to you.

For the new card, you need to set it up as your primary billing method. It is possible to add multiple credit cards or PayPal accounts, but you can only set one as your primary billing method for billing purposes. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
0d46de7b
Community Member

I have the same request. I accidentally put $250 in escrow for a personal task, using a card from my volunteer organization. I'm still a bit confused how to do this properly. I don't want the freelancer to think I'm trying to short him. 

BTW, I wish we could select payment method with each payment step. 

Hello Bret,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible to assist you further.

Thank you.

Pradeep H.

Upwork
ee1320e8
Community Member

I am currently having the same issue. The money in my escrow was funded by the wrong card. How can I place a ticket in order to change the payment card? 

Thanks,

Erick

Hi Erick,

In order to get the funds back to the payment method you used you'll need to request an Escrow Refund. To use a different card in the future, please add it as a billing method.

~Andrea
Upwork
e83f920c
Community Member

I have a question regarding how Upwork charges credit cards for Escrows:

Suppose I have two credit cards in my account: CC1 and CC2. Also suppose that I initiated a project by funding Milestone 1 with CC1, which was my primary billing method at the time.

Now suppose I change my primary billing method to CC2. When I go to fund Milestone 2, will CC1 or CC2 be charged?

Hi Brian,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Your primary billing method will be charged in this case. Even if you used another billing method to start the contract, the primary billing method will be charged first.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths