Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vectors in the works

Highlighted
Denys K Member Since: Apr 13, 2017
1 of 7

Hi community,

I work with several freelancers on video\graphical projects. 

Now I see that some of the freelancers using vectors from freepik (popular vector web-site), and modifying them for me, according to my order. So far, so good, no problem here. I've read the freepik license terms, and all can be used, for personal or commercial use for free, if you are premium user (freelancer need to pay some fee there), no credit need to be given to author. 

So I need to raise these questions:

1. I'm surely cannot know if my freelancer is premium or free user, in this case, when I receive the project, who's responsible for copyrights? I will use the end product in my commercial product, so responsibility is on me, or on a freelancer who sold me this vectors? 

2. Anyone here works with this site or other sites and vectors, and is it ok to build the project on top of it? 

(if this topic not in the correct area, please move it to correct one Smiley Happy )

Thanks, 

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 7

Honestly - this can get very complicated. If a premium freelancer purchases an image, the copyright belongs to them, not you. It would be best for you to purchase the image and supply it to your freelancer. Better yet, it would be best to hire a freelancer who can create original art to your specifications.

It gets even more complicated if the images are going to be used on products to be sold - usually stock imagery has license limits in regards to the quantity of an item sold.

In your instance, I believe it would really be best for you to use original artwork. You may be otherwise setting yourself up for some major issues.

3 of 7

Hi, the images themselves won't be present on the actual product, infographics will be used to attract customers to buy the actual product.

In case of "selfmade" work, freelancer also owns it, but it can transfer the copyrights to me, no? Same as for vectors, he's transferring copyright on the finished work for me, not actual vector files that he owns.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
4 of 7

@Denys K wrote:

Hi, the images themselves won't be present on the actual product, infographics will be used to attract customers to buy the actual product.

In case of "selfmade" work, freelancer also owns it, but it can transfer the copyrights to me, no? Same as for vectors, he's transferring copyright on the finished work for me, not actual vector files that he owns.

Denys - there is actually quite a bit of info on that site about what is allowed and what isn't. You may want to check that out and see if some of your questions can be anwered there.

5 of 7

Hi Virginia, I understand your point, but if you will read my first post once again - there I'm asking about a situation, that I - as a customer got a WORK from freelancer (and in this situation, theoretically), freelancer didn't have the rights\permission\premium account, etc. - in this case, UpWork covers me??? And full responsibility is on the freelancer, or on me??? And also I've asked if someone from freelancers works with the site I mentioned Smiley Happy

In the site (there) written, if freelancer HAVE the premium - he can use vector graphics for his work and for his customers. (but I don't have any tool to make sure if he has premium, and should I?)

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 7

I believe this is a valid discussion, and this discussion should be welcome here in the Forum.

But this is a freepik issue.

Not an Upwork issue.

Ace Contributor
Vlad M Member Since: Mar 20, 2016
7 of 7

@Denys K wrote:

Hi Virginia, I understand your point, but if you will read my first post once again - there I'm asking about a situation, that I - as a customer got a WORK from freelancer (and in this situation, theoretically), freelancer didn't have the rights\permission\premium account, etc. - in this case, UpWork covers me??? And full responsibility is on the freelancer, or on me??? And also I've asked if someone from freelancers works with the site I mentioned Smiley Happy

In the site (there) written, if freelancer HAVE the premium - he can use vector graphics for his work and for his customers. (but I don't have any tool to make sure if he has premium, and should I?)

When getting the vector from freepik a premium account can go to their download section and get a personalized license. You can ask that from your freelancer.  

All the best,

Vlad M.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS