🐈
» Forums » Clients » Very bad experience
Page options
b069d0cc
Community Member

Very bad experience

Hi, I am a new customer on upwork, very bad first experience, freelancer recommended by upwork system, the contract of 15 hours of work with the cost of compensation $ 13.81 per hour, cost me $ 401.84 I opened a dispute, so far I have not received any response, he worked for 15 hours without solving my problem, he was not able to realize my requests, he created a great damage, so I paid without solving the work problem. But is there any assistance that can protect me?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Cinzia,

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused! I’ll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect to receive an update via ticket as soon as possible. 

Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Cinzia,

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused! I’ll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect to receive an update via ticket as soon as possible. 

Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Cinzi:

I am very sorry that you had a bad experience while using Upwork.

My recommendation for using Upwork effectively:
Proactively plan to never file a dispute, and never try to get money back from a freelancer.

Instead, it is safer to stop paying an underperforming freelancer.

If you don't love a freelancer's work, then end the contract. Hire somebody else.

Yes, and freelancers should also be willing to end contracts when they see things aren't working out before taking any more of a client's money, or wasting both of their time. I know I do.

Peter:

That is a great point. I agree with you.

As a client, when I hire a freelancer using an hourly contract, I am paying for the freelancer's time.

If a freelancer logs 15 hours of time, then I pay the freelancer 15 times their hourly rate.

I pay that amount whether the freelancer succeeds in accomplishing what I wanted him to do. Clients must pay for the freelancer's hours, unless those hours do not qualify for Upwork Paument Protection... in which case it is technically possible to dispute his hours.

I personally do not try to avoid paying for a freelancer's time by looking for a way out based on failure to abide by Payment Protection rules. But it IS possible for a knowledgeable client to do that.

==================

Question: What if a client hires an hourly contract freelancer to solve a problem, and the freelancer fails to solve the problem? Does the client still need to pay?

Answer: Yes. The client is expected to pay for the freelancer's time, not for a specific outcome or result.

Question: That does not seem fair. I want to pay for a specific result.

Answer: Then hire a freelancer using a fixed-price contract.

I disagree, if you hire an hourly contract you have to pay for the hours worked, especially when the work has to wait for review by outside companies.

I waited a week after the two business days because the work had to be submitted for review where it was not accepted because it was not deemed correct.

Hi, in fact after the stated 15 hours of work, I closed the contract, the problem of having paid not 2 working days, but as if it were a week. The only weapon that can be done are the disputes

Cinzia:

Right now your biggest problem is that you lack knowledge.

The more knowledge you gain, the more powerful you will become as an Upwork client.

You will know how to use the system to your knowledge. You will know how to choose between fixed-price versus hourly contracts. You will know how best to dispute, when to not dispute, etc.

Feel free to read the available help documents and the pertinent Forum posts. Feel free to ask questions right here in this thread.

Hello, I have the same experinece with a freelancer that transmitted an incomplete and wrong work and he is claiming his whole money while I payed for him 30% from the agreement and he continue to treating me ...

re: "Hello, I have the same experinece with a freelancer that transmitted an incomplete and wrong work and he is claiming his whole money while I payed for him 30% from the agreement and he continue to treating me ..."

You don't owe this freelancer any more of your time and energy.

Close the contact immediately. Block him from communicating with you.

Focus on team members who do things correctly and provide you with value.

Yes you are right, When I forwarded my comments he did not correct anything !!! I am totally agree with you, it is a waste of time and energy.

Hi am an upcoming Upwork user and a freelancer for about three years now. I was thinking of taking my first Job at Upwork but haven't had a chance due to being new. My Upwork user name is just as it is here Sir. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths