🐈
» Forums » Clients » Very rude & mannerless client
Page options
graphics_partner
Community Member

Very rude & mannerless client

What should I do with this client? He's constantly changing his mind. Confirming a color change & then next minute he's choosing another, making me repeat the whole editing process. When I asked him to make up his mind he said--

""""I never changed any mind mate

Please choose your words carefully when you are trying to shift the blame

You do not tell me what to do also

If I need things changed or revised, do as I request

I have no energy to argue with anyone I’m employing""""

Should I carry on with him? He hasn't yet started the project, still dwelling with samples. 

Thanks in advance for everyone's suggestion.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jeremiah-brown
Community Member

Do whatever the client asks, as long as its on an hourly contract.

In all seriousness, this is the type of client you don't want on a fixed rate contract.  If you are locked into a fixed rate with this client, do the work that is requested as long as it meets your agreement.  These are tough clients to deal with.  You either do the work, the way they want it, or face a negative review. 

If you are comfortable doing so, you can reply with things like "Yes, I would be happy to do that.  Since it falls outside of the scope of work for this project, we will need to draw up a new contract for these _______."  

You can also request to renegotiate the contract.

If the contract has not yet been established, I strongly encourage you to seek an hourly rather than a fixed rate contract.  If the client agrees to hourly, then it doesnt matter how many times they change their mind.  You're still being paid for your time.  

Another option, if the contract has not been established is to simply cut ties and walk away.  You can always say something to the effect of "I'm sorry, but I don't this business relationship is going to continue.  I am going to pass on this job.  Thank you." 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
deborah-ponzio
Community Member

If you are in a contract with someone abusive, I would suggest that you complete the work as per the scope that you initially agreed, as soon as and as best as possible. Then exit as gracefully and quickly as possible, and leave your honest feedback. A leopard does not lose its spots. There are plenty of polite and professional clients on this platform. Make sure to vet any client before entering in a contract. 

9f395534
Community Member

Hello Mohthir S.

I am sorry to hear about your experience with this client of yours and at the same time very glad I come across your post, (Very rude & mannerless client).

I was once in such a situation with my client, that is off Upwork for the record.

I learned so many things from this my client's character which are;

* Patient

*Endurance

*Speed

*Active listening

*Customer handling skill

*Respect and a lot more.

Where am I going with this and how did I get out of it, my client awarded a $3600 project to me and cancel it after and re-awarded it again for $2600 sounds crazy right, but get mad and get back to my senses, no time to explain the point about the changes in price, I can explain if you wish to hear it, guess what happened while the project is on the client keep making different corrections each time I submit a review, in the end, I completed the but she comes back for revision.

My point is that make sure you do all the client requests/corrections and ignore the obstacles, in end, you will come out fine trust me.

You can use the same method I applied RATER.

Best of luck.

completed $2600.png

cancel $3600.png

cancel $3600.png

prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork is not the politeness police.

If YOU don't want to work for a client, then YOU can decide to stop working for a client.

You should not expect to be able to report a client to Upwork for being impolite, and then have them intervene.

I know that this is NOT what you are asking about. I'm just trying to emphasize that this is something freelancers need to make their own decisions about. Of course asking for ideas in the Forum is fine.

Great input

Agreed

jeremiah-brown
Community Member

Do whatever the client asks, as long as its on an hourly contract.

In all seriousness, this is the type of client you don't want on a fixed rate contract.  If you are locked into a fixed rate with this client, do the work that is requested as long as it meets your agreement.  These are tough clients to deal with.  You either do the work, the way they want it, or face a negative review. 

If you are comfortable doing so, you can reply with things like "Yes, I would be happy to do that.  Since it falls outside of the scope of work for this project, we will need to draw up a new contract for these _______."  

You can also request to renegotiate the contract.

If the contract has not yet been established, I strongly encourage you to seek an hourly rather than a fixed rate contract.  If the client agrees to hourly, then it doesnt matter how many times they change their mind.  You're still being paid for your time.  

Another option, if the contract has not been established is to simply cut ties and walk away.  You can always say something to the effect of "I'm sorry, but I don't this business relationship is going to continue.  I am going to pass on this job.  Thank you." 

Community Member

MOHATHIR S wrote:

What should I do with this client? He's constantly changing his mind. Confirming a color change & then next minute he's choosing another, making me repeat the whole editing process... He hasn't yet started the project, still dwelling with samples. 

Do you even have a contract? If you don't, stop working immediately!

If you have a contract, with a funded milestone (very important, only work on funded milestones), then I suggest that you politely remind the client that the contract does not have unlimited revisions. If they eventually threaten you with a bad review, take a screenshot of the threat and report them to Upwork for feedback extortion, which can get them banned from the platform.

Personally, I would heavily consider closing the contract and refunding the money to minimize the effect on my JSS and be done with the client.

the-right-writer
Community Member

It sounds like you don't have a contract. I hope none of this is outside Upwork. If you don't have a contract, then politely tell the client you are not the right freelancer for them. It's always better to take the high road and there's no damage done.

re: "He's constantly changing his mind."

I don't work for Upwork. Here is my opinion as a veteran Upwork freelancer and client:

That means hourly contract.

Period.

That does not mean you SHOULD accept a contract with this client.

If you find the client's manners are lacking or if the client is rude to you, then of course you could walk away completely.

But any freelancer would be making a huge mistake if they accepted a fixed-price contract with a client like this.

Fixed-price contracts are a PRIVILEGE. All Upwork freelancers should hold clients to very high standards when it comes to fixed-price. This means NO CHANGES. If a client steps out of line even a little bit, we need to let them know we will ONLY work for them using hourly contracts.

If a client wants to make ANY change to the agreed upon task, they need to RELEASE all escrow money, and CLOSE the current contract, and then ASK the freelancer if they may please set up a new contract with the new or altered task.

graphics_partner
Community Member

Thanks to everyone for their help! It's an honor to have co-workers like you guys!

Latest Articles
Learning Paths