🐈
» Forums » Clients » W9
Page options
f7ef1d2f
Community Member

UpWork's completed W9 form

Hello! Our company's finance team needs me to provide UpWork's W9 form before I can proceed paying any freelancers through UpWork. I wasn't able to find the completed W9 form anywhere. Can you please attach or provide UpWork's W9 form to me? 

Thanks! 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Dawn,

Please note that Upwork is an online marketplace where clients directly engage and pay freelancers to perform services. Clients do not pay the freelancer service fees to Upwork. Instead, Upwork's affiliate, Upwork Escrow Inc., acts as an escrow agent and passes funds from the client to the freelancer. In general, since the service fees are paid to your freelancer through the escrow service, we do not believe a W-9 is necessary.

If you have any further questions about your Upwork account, please contact our support team by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.
~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

164 REPLIES 164

It is not clear why this answer has to be such a big secret and why clients are to work privately through support. Maybe because publicly stating the Tax ID is not a good practice but still why cant the steps be provided here to help clients so that freelancers can tell them what to do to get the information they need? This is approved solution above but who approved it? Upwork? The approved solution also states "we do not believe a W-9 is necessary"--"we believe" is not an auditable statement.  I want to make 100 percent sure that a Client does not receive a Freelancer's W-9 but the tax I.D. for Upwork Escrow Inc. Just dont understand why the steps cant be disclosed.

Hi Jeri,

We truly appreciate you reaching out and sharing your feedback here in the Community. We certainly understand the confidentiality of these forms to our valued members. Please note that the W-9 form document taxpayer information that the IRS requires us to collect for people and businesses receiving payments through our platform.

Rest assured that we only use the form to provide information to the IRS if the IRS requests it. This includes completing a Form 1099-K for you at the end of each tax year if needed.

We take all commercially reasonable steps to protect your information, including encrypting access to our site and the transmission of information. To learn more about how we protect your personal information, please review Upwork’s Privacy Policy in our Terms of Service.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Except for the statement "we do not believe a W-9 is necessary," the freelancer moderator comment is correct. This is what I received from Upwork customer support, which I have only had to deal with 2 times in about 8 years. I encourage every freelancer, when asked by the client to do this, to provide this response (generally straight from Upwork Support except for the comment about freelancer W9s and double taxation, that is from me personally):

"Clients do not pay the freelancer service fees to Upwork. Instead, Upwork's affiliate, Upwork Escrow Inc., acts as an escrow agent and passes funds from the client to the freelancer. In general, since the service fees are paid through the escrow service, obtaining the escrow agent's Tax ID is not necessary and freelancers do not provide W9s to clients for double taxation purposes. We recommend that clients consult with a local tax professional about their tax concerns. For clients with further questions, please advise him to contact our support team directly and we will be happy to help https://support.upwork.com."

ff29b248
Community Member

Hi Upwork team, 

I need a W9 form from Upwork to start working with freelancers. Can someone please help me with that?

e43283ba
Community Member

Nikola,

My company desperately needs W9 information, as well as a good billing email, phone number, and contact info. This is super serious! I appreciate any help.

Hi Archer,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~Andrea
Upwork
746f7c6b
Community Member

My company is in need of a completed W-9 form from UpWork. This is due to us paying payment processing fees to UpWork.

We understand that as a client we do not pay the freelancer service fees to UpWork, and instead Upwork's affiliate, Upwork Escrow Inc., acts as an escrow agent and passes funds from the client to the freelancer. But since we still pay payment processing fees to UpWork we do need UpWork's W-9 form for that. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jason,

We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to address your request.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
5cda7ffd
Community Member

Hi Bojan, 

My company also needs a completed Upwork W-9 Form before we can pay our freelancer.

Can I also receive a copy that I can submit to our Accounting team?

Thank you in advance for any help!!

Hi Emily,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your request with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
681a87f7
Community Member

I am in need of the same documentation so that our Accounting department can create a vendor file for Upwork. Thank you.

Hi Teresa,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Someone from our team will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~Andrea
Upwork

We are in need of a copy of your W-9 as well for accounting records.

Hi David,

I've escalated your request to the appropriate team and one of the members will be assisting you further via a support ticket. You can access your ticket and coordinate with the team on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Community Member

There is no ticket on my page per your link. Perhaps you gave it to Brad.

Best,

Dave

Hi David,

I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. I reached out to the team handling your case and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

I need  W-9 from Upwork and a California 590 please

c74d2275
Community Member

Hello, my company needs Upwork's W9 form to start working with upwork freelancers. How can I get it

Hi Clay,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via email to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I am also in need of a copy of Upwork's W9.  Can someone please call me at **Edited for Community Guidelines** or e-mail me at **Edited for Community Guidelines**?

VERY frustrating to not have a phone number, e-mail address or even live chat to reach out with questions.

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
89b6d700
Community Member

Hi,

I also need a copy of W9, can you please have someone reach out to me?

Thanks!

Hi,

I also need a copy of W9, can you please have someone reach out to me?

Thanks!

Best,

Isabelle

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Isabelle,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your request. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
9098a41b
Community Member

I would like to request a W9 also.
Thanks,
David

Hi David,

I shared your request with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Upwork team, 

I need a W9 form from Upwork to start working with freelancers. Can someone please contact me regarding this at the earliest?

Regards,

Hi Srinivas,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
teleyan
Community Member

Please reach out to me too. I also need W9 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Lusine.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with your request.  

~ Bojan
Upwork
ec981ead
Community Member

Where to we get a W9 from Upwork? Our finance department requires this in order to pay the freelancer via Upwork. Please contact **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thank you,

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Dir of HR

Dynamic Integrated Services

Hi Vanni and Dis,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you with your requests.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Hello. I also need to submit a W9. Can someone contact me please? I found this page on Upwork's help site for uploading a W9, and it has links to your Account Settings -> Tax Info page, however, that link is broken. I can also navigate to the Tax Info page on my account, but there's no info on uploading the W9 as the help documentation suggests. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks. 

Hi Jeff,

I would like to clarify that only freelancers need to submit their W9 forms. As a client you don't need to submit any forms, you can go ahead and hire your freelancers. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Upwork is now a public company. https://investors.upwork.com/sec-filings/sec-filing/10-k/0001627475-21-000015 its on their 10K

There is virtuall no way to contact your company. So we have two options pull the 10K to get your EIN, or report you to the SEC. I need your w9, its required by law. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Eric,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to provide a document you're looking for.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
bdempster
Community Member

Has anyone been asked to fill out a W9 form for a customer or any other form in order to do work for them? This sounds like a scam. A potential customer tried to get me to send my birth certificate to them stating it was required. I have been doing business through Upwork for over ten years now, back when they were known as oDesk.

Hi Bill,

If you see a job or a profile that seems suspicious, you can report it to us using the flagging option. You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs. You might also want to check out the information here to learn more about staying safe on Upwork. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
3146e832
Community Member

Hi I'm a client who has hired several Freelancers and I would like to find out how I would go about getting a W9 filled out from those Freelancers. Please let me know what the best course of action is here. Should I ask the freelancer to complete one or does Upwork provide them to me.

Thanks,

Leo

Latest Articles
Learning Paths