cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website security issue

Hollie R Member Since: Sep 10, 2017
1 of 5

Hi, I have started working with a developer and I'm concerned that there is suspicious activity on my website as I now cannot enter the word press admin without bypassing

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

. This developer has assured me it's fine but it's not and has held me hostage for almost 2 weeks and I dont know what to do? Can anyone help as my website launch date is today and I have paid activations starting in 2 hours!! can I also report this developer?badrilal.pngdpress admin without by-passing another site

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 5

Your SSL certificate isn't configured right. It's configured for the wrong domain. Contact your host.

ETA: Do you own empowered.co? Cuz if you do and you have vps or dedicated servers, then yeah the dev might have configured it wrong but at the same time if you are moving or something then yeah he might be in the middle of moving you.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 5

Hollie, did you show this to the developer and ask for an explanation? That's the first thing I would do,

4 of 5

I often see this warning posted by the OP when I try to log in to Upwork with Firefox. Sometimes it goes away when I close Firefox and log in again, and other times it persists for several login attempts. I've never given it much thought but does this mean there is something wrong with Upwork's certificate, or is Firefox the problem? 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 5

Newer versions of we browsers, such as Firefox, have become more "security conscious" and are more likely to raise concerns like this.

It doesn't mean anything is "wrong" with your website. It means that a browser is expecting a log-in screen to be handled through a webpage that has a secure SSL certificate behind it.

If the developer of the webpage doesn't know how to set that up, or didn't want to set that up because she didn't want to pay for an SSL certificate out of her own pocket, that's okay. You can work with her to pay for an SSL certificate yourself, using your own account (such as via GoDaddy). Or you can accept the fact that maybe this developer isn't comfortable working with SSL certificates. Hire somebody who is.

Or do nothing. Use a different browser or figure out how to bypass this warning using your current browser. It is up to you and nobody else to decide whether or not your website requires SSL-level security. I work with large numbers of websites that use SSL and I work with large numbers that don't.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS