cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to Chat support?

Ace Contributor
John S Member Since: Jun 26, 2015
1 of 6

It used to be almost instant to get a chat support representative - it now takes forever. In fact I haven't been able to get ahold of anyone via the Chat lately. I think it all began after the merger with Elance - does upwork have the same amount of chat support people as before even though it now has twice the amount of clients and freelancers?

Frankly as many people, myself included, have been saying for some time now - upwork has been getting only worse after the whole rebranding merging began. The site is getting slow and buggy and pretty much unusable, the freelancers are getting worse, I'm wondering where are all the good freelancers going now so I can follow them?

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
2 of 6

They're probably all off being trained up on the advanced technology of the Upwork platform, so they can maintain their position as the leading online workplace... where savvy businesses and talented freelancers get the job done. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 6

John,

I know how it feels to not be able to get through to Support, it's a real pain!

In fairness there has been a massive bug which seems to have affected the majority or even all of the freelancers, so it would be reasonable to assume that Upwork's Support teams are absolutely snowed under.

When I went on Chat last week it was very quick, maybe a 3-5 minute wait - but I am sure that after the bug struck (Saturday?) the queues will have become ridiculously long.

I hope you can figure out what you need help with, failing that, if it's something that someone in the community can help with or answer, post it here?

-

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 6

Live chat support is more expensive to provide than ticket/message-based support. Really, unless you are a client or Top Rated contractor, you should not even try to use chat support. And you probably won't see the option.

And even if you are a client or top rated, you should avoid using support for things that can be handled more quickly elsewhere. Just for your own sake.

Most question and answer types is issues can be handled more quickly with the Upwork static Help pages and in the Community Forum. People should only use Customer Support when you need an Upwork support person to push a button you don't have access to.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 6

@Preston H wrote:

1) Live chat support is more expensive to provide than ticket/message-based support.

2) Most question and answer types is issues can be handled more quickly with the Upwork static Help pages and in the Community Forum. People should only use Customer Support when you need an Upwork support person to push a button you don't have access to.

1) Are you sure? Care to explain why you think that way?

2) I 100% agree

-

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 6

Yes, I am sure.

I understand this from a technical and logistical perspective, which I won't get into here, but also from a business perspective. If Upwork had a cheaper support option to offer most users as their only option, they would offer that option.

If chat was cheaper than tickets/email, than chat would be the default and people would be complaining that tickets/email wasn't available.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS