🐈
» Forums » Clients » What happens to the money funded when the off...
Page options
sawsanasi
Community Member

What happens to the money funded when the offer to the client is withdrawn?

I am a client and I posted a job, then offered the job to a freelancer then decided to give the job to another freelancer. Now,  I withdrawn the offer to the first freelancer and offered it to the second freelancer. 

In either cases I funded the job in Escrow, but now I seem to lose track of the funds for the offer which I declined. The problem is that: My visa was charged twice.

So, if I withdrew the first offer, where would the money go?? I can't find them in my balance under (Reports/ translations).

Please help.

Thank you 

24 REPLIES 24
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Sawsan,

When you cancel a fixed-price offer the money deposited in Escrow is refunded back to your payment method. You can see the refund in your Transactions report with a description "Credit for cancelled offer." Payment processing fee is refunded as well. Please, let us know if you have any additional questions

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi,

I offered a job to a freelancer, be declined the offer. Its been 2 days now and I still have no been refunded. How long does it take to be refunded?

Thanks

re: "I offered a job to a freelancer, be declined the offer. Its been 2 days now and I still have no been refunded. How long does it take to be refunded?"

It takes up to 5 business days.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Roy, I checked your account and can see that this has already been credited back to your payment method on 6-July. This should reflect in your account in a few days.

~ Avery
Upwork
7637bcbd
Community Member

Hi Avery, 

I have a contract in escrow and the freelancer is asking for additional 44usd, he even wanted me to pay the full amount in escrow balance + the additional without delivering any project and it's been delayed of 3days now from the target date. He accepted the job description and now he is telling that his scope is only this period. But while chatting he is so positive with always "yes I will do that'.  Im feed up of waiting and planning to withdraw and take my money back from the freelance instead. What is the best way to do to get my money back from the freelance and how many days it will take. Kindly give best advise. And from the beginning, I had discussed with the freelance re the budget and he agreed- if he insists the additional I  am not willing to give since our budget is fixed that's why I make fixed contract. Please advise asap

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, Rosalyn. It will always be your discretion when to release payment upfront on a fixed-price project, or only release the payment once a submission on the project has been made. This decision falls on the client, and the client's relationship with the freelancer. 

At this point, I'm not sure if you can still dispute the first milestone that was released to the freelancer, but I will gladly ask the team for more information and get back to you on that. 

~ Avery
Upwork
c97bf092
Community Member

Hello Avery,

I am new on this website and i did not know if you hire someone everytime will take you money for your account, now i have 3 hiring but i need only one, how can i cancel the other two ?

Thank you!

Hello,

I made a payment of $115 usd which i got charged $159 Cad.  in my transaction history it says that i only paid $115 plus $3.16 funding request. Can you confirm if i will get refunded the ($118.16 usd) or am i going to get refunded the actual amount that i paid which is ($159 cad )

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Karel, 

On your transactions history page, will you please click Reference ID 190086898, you will see on this transaction that the credited amount to your account is $159.59 CAD, or $118.16 USD.

In the future, you should be able to see both CAD and USD charges on the transaction history page by clicking on the reference ID with the label "Payment" on the "Type" column. 

~ Avery
Upwork
eda94a41
Community Member

Good morning,

Avery thanks for your promt reponse. I should see the funds in my account for the refund within 5 business days ?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, Karel. It should reflect on your account within 5-business days.

~ Avery
Upwork
def9a2d5
Community Member

Hey Upwork People

I hired a freeLancer and therefore paid some money to be held in escrow. The freeLancer declined the offer. When do I expect to get a refund

Hi Raghav,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I can confirm that the refund was successful from our end. It should reflect on your account within 5-business days.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

You should update your documentation to reflect the fact that refunds from withdrawn/declined offers take up to 10 business days to show up in the bank, and not 5, as you currently claim.

This has been my experience on Upwork - I've often had to wait up to 2 weeks.

Updating your messaging will save you the heaps of resources you currently spend answering customers asking "Where is my refund?"

eda94a41
Community Member

Hello,

Avery its been 8 business days and i still haven't receive my  refund. Can you explain why i haven't received my refund because it was to my understanding that  it takes 5 business days to get a refund?

Hi Karel, 

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly and have the issue investigated further.

Thanks for your patience.

~ Valeria
Upwork
eda94a41
Community Member

Hello,

Can you please advise me what happens when a customer cancels a contract . I have attached a file to show you what the upworker said and proof that he has cancelled the contract. 

This is the message i received from the upwork employee

This is too much of work for us for $ 100.. If you wanted a template to be followed you should have given us before the start of the project... We are busy to take this project further and spent more time on it... Hence cancelled the project and refunded the amount back to you.

Thank You

Rajesh Ponnan

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Karel,

If a freelancer was hired on the contract once you cancel it a refund request will be created for the freelancer. The freelancer will have 7 days to respond on this request, weather to approve the refund or reject it. Once the refund is approved the funds are also reversed back to your account.
If you need help regarding your previous refund request please follow up on your ticket and our team will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
1763184b
Community Member

I have posted a job and hired a freelancer. But he could not do it and did a fake job. Then I witdrew the Job and removed it. But I can not see the amount of $100 that paid through my credit card in my balance. When can I get my money back. Please let me know. 

Hi Rahul,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I checked and it seems that the refund was already initiated. Please allow up to 5 business days for the refund to reflect on your account.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

for how long they will refund it?

Hi Gerlene,

It can take up to 5 business days for the funds to be loaded on your account. If you don't receive your funds in 5 business days, let us know here and our team will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello, 

I am new in upwork and what i triend to do is to just give an offer to the frelancer but inseted it debted my money. 

I withdraw from the offer and in my transaction list it shows refund but i dont have any refund money on my account. 

Can someone ensure me if my money will be refundet to me? 

thanks 

Hi Rexhina, 

Thanks for reaching out. I checked and can see that the refund for the project you're referring to was processed today. Please note that it can take up to five business days to be credited back to your payment method.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths