🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: What happens with my rate if the client i...
Page options
mis_ivana
Community Member

What happens with my rate if the client is not responding and did not close the job?

Hello friends,
I have a client that did not close the fixed price job and leave feedback. The job was finished successfully and on time submitted inside as a payment request. Since then the client desapeared.
7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Ivana M wrote:

I have a client that did not close the fixed price job and leave feedback. The job was finished successfully and on time submitted inside as a payment request. Since then the client desapeared. What happens with my rate

Absolutely nothing.

ttblancer
Community Member

Ivana M wrote:
Hello friends,
I have a client that did not close the fixed price job and leave feedback. The job was finished successfully and on time submitted inside as a payment request. Since then the client desapeared.

Well, sometimes a client becomes very busy. So please wait for the client response. If the client does not respond the after a long while, then contact with upwork support team. Briefly describe the issues to upwork support team. The support team will notify your client on behalf of you. But don't end the job from your side, it's not a professional behavior.

Now the answer of your question is:

No Earnings – In general, when a contract fails to lead to any earnings your JSS will be negatively impacted.

No Feedback – Contracts with no client feedback, including ones you ended or left open and inactive, do not affect your score unless you have excessive contracts with no feedback.

Please check the reference

Thanks

Md.Omar F wrote:

If the client does not respond the after a long while, then contact with upwork support team.

But don't end the job from your side, it's not a professional behavior.

Nonsense. There is no need to contact support for something like that.

It is absolutely NOT "unprofessional behaviour" to close a contract. It has no negative effect on anything at all provided money was paid and there aren't a large percentage of such contracts.

Harassing a client and trying to get Support to harass them on your behalf, however, *IS* unprofessional behaviour.

Will's procedure (above) or something along those lines is the correct and professional way to handle it.  Personally I only send one friendly reminder, then either close it at some point or just leave it open.

Petra R wrote:

Md.Omar F wrote:

If the client does not respond the after a long while, then contact with upwork support team.

It is absolutely NOT "unprofessional behaviour" to close a contract. It has no negative effect on anything at all provided money was paid and there aren't a large percentage of such contracts.

Harassing a client and trying to get Support to harass them on your behalf, however, *IS* unprofessional behaviour.

Will's procedure (above) or something along those lines is the correct and professional way to handle it.  Personally I only send one friendly reminder, then either close it at some point or just leave it open.

Dear Petra , Could you please explain me about this statement?

jss.png

Could you please explain me about this statement?

Reference

Md.Omar F wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Md.Omar F wrote:

Dear Petra , Could you please explain me about this statement?

nonsense.jpg

Ignore it, it is just one of the many badly worded bits in the help pages. It should read "because several months have passed without you having ever received a payment"  or words to that effect.

Fact is that there are people with many dozens of contracts where nothing has been paid for months or years and their JSS stays at 100%.

The important bit is that money has been paid at some point. Contracts where nothing has ever been paid *DO* hurt the JSS after 2+ months.

It has been confirmed by staff over and over again that a few idle contracts do not have a negative effect on the JSS, provided some money has been paid and people do not have too high a percentage of such contracts.

That does not change the fact that your advice to harass clients and then run whining to Support to harass the client some more was as bad as it was ridiculous. The same is true to that nonsense that it is unprofessional for a freelancer to end the contract.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Send the client a polite reminder to close the contract on Upwork's system and then close it yourself if they don't respond.

I typically send clients on completed projects a reminder every two weeks asking if there is more they would like me to do on their project and, if not, would they please close the project.

After two or three reminders every two weeks or so and 6 - 8 weeks of no communication from the client I close the project myself.

This happens fairly regularly and I have seen no apparent negative impact on my Job Success Score.

Too many clients don't know or don't care how Upwork works. If they won't follow your lead and Upwork's protocols, don't let that be your problem.

Will L wrote:

I typically send clients on completed projects a reminder every two weeks asking if there is more they would like me to do on their project and, if not, would they please close the project.

After two or three reminders every two weeks or so and 6 - 8 weeks of no communication from the client I close the project myself.

This happens fairly regularly and I have seen no apparent negative impact on my Job Success Score.

I'm not sure that I would recommend this - more than two reminders seems a bit like harrassment to me (I only do one follow up, like Petra). If I submit work and get paid and hear nothing further from the client, my default is to assume that everything is okay; if a client isn't happy with the work, they will (almost always) let you know! Quite a few of my clients tell me that they find the whole Upwork website to be confusing and frustrating, so if they don't close a project and leave feedback, it's probably because they're busy and can't be bothered to log in and figure out what to do. It's not my place to pester them about it. They've got their work, I've got my payment, everybody's happy, case closed.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths