brit2122

What is a good Christmas bonus for freelancers in the Philippines?

I have one freelancer working for $3 / hr, another for $5/hr, and another edits photos for .41 / ea.

4 REPLIES 4
anne_ginger

Hi Brittany!

Giving a christmas bonus or gift really depends on how long the freelancer has been with you, and what you are willing to give them.

I posted something similar a while ago and got answers, here is the link.

Please note that monetary gifts has to be done through oDesk, and yes, oDesk gets 10% from that.

Suggestions are:

Small cash gift through oDesk via the bonus button at the contract tab, or buy them something online. I find cash gifts are better so they can buy what they want or need because people in the Philippines are very family oriented. A christmas basket would also be a good idea. This is what my company did for the freelancers we hired here (on my company's client account, not mine).

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
lanwanman

Hi BS! What about 10 to 15 percent of all monies paid to date before oDesk fees on the currently open contract for each freelancer; or $25 to $35 on the currently open contract for each freelancer, whichever is greater.

I usually pay a hiring bonus of $25 to $35 to any freelancer at the beginning of each job (usually gets their attention, dedication, and loyalty), and an exit bonus of $25 to $35 to any freelancer when a contract is ended (appreciation for work regardless of outcomes; even best-effort should be rewarded).

Of course, I am in the USA, and my numbers are intended for off-shore freelancers, which I usually pay at least a minimum of $5 per hour sometimes $7 per hour inclusive of any fees. Again, that is for overseas contractors (e.g., Philippines, India, etc.). I wish I could afford more.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure they will appreciate it greatly. Have a great holiday! Whenever and whatever it might be!

Edited 01/09/2015 RT/lwm

Ron aka LanWanMan
lanwanman

Well, what was decided, and how much of a bonus did they get for Christmas? Just curious...lol....

Ron aka LanWanMan
rahatur

If you give a monetary gift it may considered as a double bonus. Because apart from the monetary value a bonus is considered an achievement here on oDesk. So freelancers prefer that.