🐈
» Forums » Clients » What to do if I find a mistakes after the con...
Page options
ffb0d6be
Community Member

What to do if I find a mistakes after the contract finished?

Hi,

I released a fixed price contract and a freelancer has completed the work. Now, after a few weeks, I discovered some mistakes and the configured server keeps going down. I requested him to fix it, but he refused and asked for an hourly contract. I created an hourly contract for him before a few days, yet no response form him.

With this scenario, what I can do, should I cancel the hourly contract, and search again for a new freelancer?

And how UpWork can help me with this?

Thanks,

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "What to do if I find a mistakes after the contract finished?"

What you do is up to you. You have many options.

You may fix the mistake yourself.

You may hire the original freelancer to make additional changes/fixes, using an hourly contract.
You may hire the original freelancer to make a specific change or fix, using a fixed-price contract.

You may hire other freelancers to make additional changes or fixes.

If the original freelancer is ignoring you, then clearly hiring him is not an option.

Sorry, you did not say anything new or useful Smiley Sad

How to find such mistakes after the contract is finished is not an issue that UpWork should protect the customer?

Hiring a new freelancer may not a good idea, he won't be a successful project in many cases. 

Your contracts with freelancers are between you and a freelancer. Upwork is not a party to those contracts.

I have hired over 100 freelancers on Upwork. Nearly all of these have been great experiences.

But not every freelancer is perfect. This is normal.

It is not clear to me what you are asking for.

Did you find mistakes or things you would like changed in the work done by a freelancer you previously hired?

Would you like Upwork to make those changes or fix those mistakes for you?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry to hear you're having issues with a freelancer you hired, Moawia. It's recommended that the client and the freelancer discuss all the terms of the contract before sending the offer, including the terms around any fixes or additional work that would need to be done on the project.

Releasing funds for a milestone on Fixed-price contracts means that work was reviewed and approved.

I'll ask our support team reach out to you directly and assist with getting a hold of the freelancer since you still have an active hourly contract with them. You can also check this help article for more information about requesting refunds and disputes.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
ffb0d6be
Community Member

Thanks for your support. The fixed cost contract was about migrating a WP site to AWS and fix errors in WP. This part is done, and when the site came up after migration I started seen some minor & major errors, which can not be observed without going live and only when the master server is overloaded.

I did not release payment, the payment is released automatically to the freelance. I started with him an hourly contract, yet the freelance did not start work, I don't know if accepted or no.

I'm willing to pay to fix those errors but from my experience, such work will be failed when a new person comes in the picture.

re: "I'm willing to pay to fix those errors but from my experience, such work will be failed when a new person comes in the picture."

I agree that the ideal situation for such projects is to have the original freelancer - the one who is most knoweldgeable about a system - do the additional work, whether that is fixes or modifications, new features, etc.

But personnel turnover is always a possibility.

If you have asked this freelancer to continue working on the project, and he does not want to, then ultimately he is unavailable. Whether it is because he is sick (stricken with Covid19), or because he adopted a puppy, or because he fell in love, or simply because he is recalcitrant... It may not matter.

For you to move forward you may indeed need to hire somebody else.

Sometimes people leave, and there is nothing we can do to get them back.

What if he died? Then you would be thinking about replacing him.

The good news is: Anybody can be replaced.

If Mandy Patinkin can be replaced on "Criminal Minds," then you can replace the person who was working on your website.

tta192
Community Member

Make sure you actually created the contract and the freelancer received the offer.

Also you should have first discussed the hourly rate. Maybe the freelancer is not ok with the terms (the rate, mainly) of the new contract? you should check that.

IF you talked to the freelancer before creating the contract, and he agreed to the rate, then just wait a few more days maybe he's currently working on another project and will start on yours after that. He should be able to give you an estimate on when that will happen if you ask.

In the end, if he's not willing to accept the contract no one can force that. But that's rarely the case. It's either the rate or you didn't create the contract correctly.

ffb0d6be
Community Member

He asked $75/hour, and I agreed, and the project chat is created, I do not know what the next step.

Anyway, I can not wait any more, I will risk it and hire another freelancer.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths