cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When hiring a freelancer, what do I need to provide them with ?

Jean Nicole G Member Since: Apr 25, 2015
1 of 5

I'm almost ready to hire a freelancer to build a bingo app game for me with live multiplayer, cross platform, with server side coding,wanted to know what to provide them with. Example , do I need to get them a server to build the app in? Any help would be apperciated!!        

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 5

I'm not a game app developer, but it seems to me you should provide a server for test purposes at least, if you have one, and if you don't, then you should get one because you will need it shortly. Othewise, you'll be limiting yourself to developers who have their own servers.

3 of 5

Thank you for your reply, should I get my own apple developer account and give them login info? I'm new at this and want to make sure I'm doing things the right way.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 5

Jean,

From your question, I'm guessing it's an IOS or Mac OS app you want developed. Not being an IOS/Mac OS developer, alas, I'm not qualified to give an opinion. Maybe someone who is qualified will respond to your topic, or you *could* try contacting oDesk customer service and perhaps they'll have a suggestion. Or you could create a job, then invite a few developers and get their input.

5 of 5

oDesk will help new clients get started with finding contractors etc. They will help you by inviting several contractors who they see as a good fit. You could contact support and ask them the same thing you did here and probably wind up with more support form them than you'd get on the forums.

Alternately or in addition to, you could hire a high end developer for a one hour consultation for $50-100. You could also use this question as an opportunity to screen applicants by adding the question to your job posting.

I do not touch apps, but I do use my own servers for basic web design as needed. From a developers point, it's a lot easier to work in a familiar environment, especially if a client is new and does not own the tools yet themselves. Also, if you buy a server now, you may not buy what's best for your project and end up wasting money and/or making it more difficult for the developer. If seen clients blow piles of money on things they don't need and long before it's needed.

Let the developers you interview help you anser these questions. If they hesitate or can't give a clear and simple answer, they probably aren't at the level you need them to be anyways. May help you sort through the pile of applicants

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS