cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will upwork start filtering fake US workers?

Mel S Member Since: Dec 17, 2018
1 of 4

There seems to be not much effort to filter out fake American workers by Upwork yet. Is this something that will be resolved at some point?

I have no problem with overseas contractors for many topics, but we have some tasks that we just want some US based people on.

Here's one who racked up a bunch of hours that were false:

Claims NY...

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

but then he's in Kenya:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

And he works at a department at Hamilton that does not exist

This one was easy to spot, but we had another that you could not tell until much more time was wasted and the writing was just off for the topic

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2 of 4

Hi Mel,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had with this freelancer. I can confirm that our team has already taken proper actions.

Trust and Safety is our top priority, we have security and verification processes in place to identify this type of behavior. But, we also appreciate every report we receive. Once something has been reported our team will investigate it further and take proper actions as soon as possible.

If you have any additional questions let me know, thank you.

Untitled
Simon M Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
3 of 4
It saddens me to see people lie about where they come from just to win jobs. I am from Kenya and have had quite decent success despite not being located in the US. As a freelancer, I can confirm that the Upwork team has taken up a new strategy to flash out all fake accounts. It is also a bit frustrating to see most clients prefer to hire talent from the US alone while there are so many verified, native freelancers like me out here.
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 4

re: "It is also a bit frustrating to see most clients prefer to hire talent from the US alone while there are so many verified, native freelancers like me out here."

Most?

More than 50%?

I'm not sure if that is true...

It is my belief that "some" clients prefer to hire U.S.-based freelancers.

And "some" cilents prefer to hire non-U.S. freelancers.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS