🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: When would i get my refund?
Page options
achareorock
Community Member

When would i get my refund?

Hello, please I got a refund from freelancer because he could no longer do the job.it's been more than 5 days and the refund still has not arrived.

I have many other refunds am waiting for, but don't know when they will arrive.

So please can someone check how many refunds am I expecting and their various dates of arrival.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Achare ashurock J wrote:

I have many other refunds am waiting for, but don't know when they will arrive.

It is very worrying to see a "client" write that...

How come you ask for "many refunds" from your freelancers?

I noticed you got a very provocative way of answering to people's worries without even knowing what's going on. This is the second time you're doing this.

If you can't be polite like upwork is, don't reply.

I think you are not forced to.

re: "I have many other refunds am waiting for, but don't know when they will arrive."

Petra makes a good point.

If you are a client and you are waiting for many refunds, then it means you are using Upwork incorrectly.

Don't take this as a "negative" comment or a criticism. Take this as an opportunity to learn how to use the Upwork system more effectively.

The "refund" mechanism at Upwork is intended to be used by freelancers who realize that they can not povide you with the work that they had committed to provide you with. This is associated with fixed-price contracts. Typically this would only be used in unexpected situations, such as if the freelancer is hospitalized. If you are regularly hiring freelancers who are committing to work that they can't follow through and actually do, then it is likely there is room for improvement in your hiring practices.

Can you tell us more about what led you to being in a situation where you are expecting refunds?

NikolaS

Hi Achare,

I shared your request with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further. You will be able to access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thanks.

What if the contract is withdrawn like Just 5 minutes after.

Will the 5 days security still be needed?

Or will the funds come back immediately?

re: "What if the contract is withdrawn like Just 5 minutes after. Will the 5 days security still be needed? Or will the funds come back immediately?"

The speed with which an offer is withdrawn will not make a difference.

If you are having difficulties with the fixed-price contract model, you may want to hire using hourly contracts for now. The hourly contract is more flexible, and doesn't tie money up. For example, if you hired a freelancer with an hourly contract, and then five minutes after the freelancer agreed to the offer, it becomes apparent that the freelancer will not be able to do the work, or if you decide that you don't want to work with the freelancer, then you can close the contract. There won't be any money tied up in escrow. There will be no need to wait for a refund.

There is always risk to the client inherent with a fixed-price contract. What if the freelancer decides to NOT issue a refund? That further ties up escrow money. It might even be impossible to get the money back. But with an hourly contract, as a client I can just end things unilaterally. I don't need to ask for a freelancer's "permission" to get my money back if they don't do anything.

I'm not telling any client that they shouldn't use fixed-price contracts. I'm just pointing out that there are disadvantages as well as advantages, and clients should understand what the rules and mechanics are.

Thanks for your reply, actually, am a freelancer and just started as a client and have this assignment at school I need help with.

So I am asking now to know more.

What if the client did not accept the offer in the first place and then its withdrawn, will it still need 5 days security?

Thanks.

Hi Achare,

Refunds can take 2-5 business days to be credited to your bank, regardless of the duration of the contract. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

re: "Thanks for your reply, actually, am a freelancer and just started as a client and have this assignment at school I need help with. So I am asking now to know more. What if the client freelancer did not accept the offer in the first place and then its withdrawn, will it still need 5 days security?"

If you fund esrow, then it is going to take 2 to 5 business days for the money to get back to you.

I think it is great that you want to hire Upwork freelancers as tutors.

But as a practical matter, you are talking about an hourly contract. (Not fixed-price.)

Latest Articles
Learning Paths