cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where Are The Blog Article Writers For Hire?

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
1 of 28

Today I went looking for an article writer for my blog. I needed someone who could write good articles and was willing to pay $15 hour.

I logged into my client account. 

I went to Writing-Article Blog Writing

Chose the category, Rating of 4.5 & up and Expert Level.

These were the recommendations I received:

1. Web & UI Designer Last Log On 5 days ago.

2. Concept Artist - Comics/Graphic Novels, Children's Books,Games, Logos Last Log on 17 hrs ago

3. Business Consultant, Internal Auditor, Risk and Internal Control Pro Last Log On 5 days ago

4. Translator & On-line marketing expert 6 days ago.

5. Data Analyst & Research Methods Expert 17 hours ago

6. Social media manager, copywriter & blogger  3 days ago.

7. PHP,Joomla,Wordpress,OpenCart, Zoho CRM, Gantry Framework,Vtiger CRM 1 day ago.

8. Experienced in market research and translation 3 days ago

9. Nonprofit Professional skilled in strategy and general business ops 7 days ago

10. Nonprofit Professional skilled in strategy and general business ops 7 days ago

11. Freelance consultant for online engagements 28 days ago

So...where are the article and blog writters who are available right now???

Why am I being shown so many irrelevant people?

Only #11 had actually chosen Blog Article writing as a skill. None of the others listed it as a skill. This person has not logged on for 28 days. 

Not 1 single person on the first page of recommended freelancers has the skill I'm looking for with 1 exception. 

Why is Upwork wasting my time with all these inappropriate people????????

WHERE ARE THE THE ARTICLE BLOG WRITERS ??

Needless to say I moved on and didn't even bother contacting anyone since they were not appropriate candidates for my job, most have not logged in for some time and only 1 had the skills I'm looking for.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
2 of 28

@Jean S wrote:

This is a poor category designation.  That's not your fault, of course, but it is essentially meaningless to designate blogging as a particular skill when it comes to writing.  More relevant, I would think, is to find a subject matter expert. You don't say what your blog is about, so it's hard to say what would be better to search for, or if $15/hour is a reasonable rate to pay an expert in that field who can also write.  When you know Upwork is no longer working to help you, the burden is on you to make the site productive.

Community Guru
3 of 28

@Darrin O wrote:

@Jean S wrote:

When you know Upwork is no longer working to help you, the burden is on you to make the site productive.

It's not my job to make the site productive for me. I can easily just move on to a site that does work and it's what I did. 

I don't have hours to spend making it productive and as a client I should not have to.

The next time I need a Technology Consultant you can guess where I will NOT be looking.

Community Guru
4 of 28

@Jean S wrote:
It's not my job to make the site productive for me. I can easily just move on to a site that does work and it's what I did. 

It's everyone's job to find a way to make the site work for them, or go elsewhere.  It sound like you've decided to go elsewhere.  Problem solved.

The next time I need a Technology Consultant you can guess where I will NOT be looking.

I'd guess on Upwork, but I can't say for sure because you're still here posting.  If you can't bring yourself to leave, I've offered advice that should improve your results without you needing to call out in vain for Upwork to help you.  If you don't want my help either, that's an easy wish to grant.

Community Guru
5 of 28

@Darrin O wrote:

I'd guess on Upwork, but I can't say for sure because you're still here posting.  If you can't bring yourself to leave, I've offered advice that should improve your results without you needing to call out in vain for Upwork to help you.  If you don't want my help either, that's an easy wish to grant.

I think my complaint is justified since Upwork is promoting itself as being Client focused to the point of being able to hire a freelancer in 3 minutes of less with their new search program. 

Call out in vain? They promote the 3 minutes...not me. If this is the way you treat clients I'm surprised you are still here.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 28

You kinda want to stay away from "blog writers" or "article writers." These people usually write filler.

Instead, look for copywriters or writers specific to your field. Writers who focus on specific topics because they worked in the industry, they are experts or they just know the topic well are usually much better choices.

Community Guru
7 of 28

@Jennifer M wrote:

You kinda want to stay away from "blog writers" or "article writers." These people usually write filler.

Instead, look for copywriters or writers specific to your field. Writers who focus on specific topics because they worked in the industry, they are experts or they just know the topic well are usually much better choices.

I think you missed the point completely!!!

Did you see the list of people I was shown?

No one was even remotely qualified. Why was I being shown people who did not even have that as a chosen skill?  

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 28

@Jean S wrote:

I think you missed the point completely!!!

Did you see the list of people I was shown?

No one was even remotely qualified. Why was I being shown people who did not even have that as a chosen skill?  

sorry.jpg

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
9 of 28

Smiley Wink  Jennifer

Community Guru
10 of 28

@Jean S wrote:
Call out in vain? They promote the 3 minutes...not me. If this is the way you treat clients I'm surprised you are still here.

My aim is to solve problems, and my clients appreciate that.  The good one's know that even they are not above reproach when it comes to finding and fixing errors.  As I have said to you, and in many other threads in the past, it is overwhelmingly clear that Upwork likes they system they have built, regardless of how unsuited it is for clients or freelancers or their own promotional efforts.  So, yes, you have admit you know by now that your complaints are going to be falling on deaf ears.

The only question that remains is what you're going to do about the situation, given the realities as they are.  Whether it is to abandon the platform or adjust your skills/categories/search strategies, it's up to you to act in your own best interest.  Sure, Upwork should be doing more to serve the needs of its customers (which is actually the freelancers alone, based on how they structure their fees), but it solves nobody's problems to live in that fantasy world.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS